Thread: VirtualBox (possibly other vm's) no X solution

Default VirtualBox (possibly other vm's) no X solution

First, I would say this isn't too critical....but some people run backtrack in a virtual machine for testing things against a virtual network of virtual machines. Anyways, using the kde or the flux menu selection from lilo won't work in a virtual machine, or at least the binary release of VirtualBox. I think it has something to do with either startup scripts or the boot parameters for kde and flux and not related to Virtualbox.

I posted some screenshots with an article here and better description - (error, not allowed to post urls until you have posted 15 messages) - just see edwiget dot name for article.

The solution is real simple: select BT3 Text Mode FB and after you log in, both startx and flux commands will work.

I will see if I can determine why the other menu selections dont work....right now I have to sleep. night

Update: I forgot to state that I was running sabayon linux 3.5 Loop 1 x64 (CFLAGS native) with bt3 beta as the virtual machine and the latest binary release of virtualbox 1.5.4

No such problems in Vmware or AFAK Parallels.

Just verified issue with BT3beta on virtualbox (host os is Vista Biz)

I'll play around with it later in txt mode.

Just burned his ISO

Default Same problem in Parallels 5584

Just thought I'd add that I encountered the same problem in Parallels 5584. Booting into text mode allowed me to launch X. From there I was able to partition and run the GUI installer. After that, even the parallels tools installer worked. w00t!