Thread: Basic TCP/IP Confusing Me

Hybrid View

Default Basic TCP/IP Confusing Me

The router that came with my ISP, has a firewall built in and offers no way of port forwarding. It is completely locked, the only way of configuring it is remotely through their support, with a fee of $100.

Now I would like to get an understanding of how TCP/IP works in this situation.

It is impossible for me to create a server of any type, web server/IRC/ftp whatever. People cannot connect because the ports cannot be forwarded through the router.

But how is this possible when I am able to access the internet, write in this forum, play a game, whatever. Packets are being sent out obviously,
    but what is the difference between me digit'ing a message in MSN, to creating a webserver that will also send HTML to the client accessing my page?

Do you get me?
    An explanation about this would be greatly appreciated (:
    - Poul Wittig

List of TCP and UDP Port numbers should help answer some of your questions.
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

The information I am seeking cannot be found there unfortunately.
    This is damn hard to explain lol :b, but I'm trying.

For example: In 2 minutes I will be posting this message to forums.remote-exploit.org, which will be sent through port 80, right?
    Now how is this information being sent over port 80, if it is closed on the router!
    YES!, manages to explain myself THAT is the mystery that I am really confused about.
    - Poul Wittig

Thinking about this and going to come with a guess.
    Is it because the hardware firewall is made so that it is not possible for me to
    listen on any port, but any connection to my box made remotely will let me send packets back? But if that hypothesis is correct, how can ... arghhh nevermind .. Really confused :b .. Try answering my last post that should clear things up
    - Poul Wittig

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    Thinking about this and going to come with a guess.
    Is it because the hardware firewall is made so that it is not possible for me to
    listen on any port, but any connection to my box made remotely will let me send packets back? But if that hypothesis is correct, how can ... arghhh nevermind .. Really confused :b .. Try answering my last post that should clear things up
    I think you might want to read up on NAT and dynamic port allocation.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Thanks a lot, NAT definitely contains all the answers
    to my confusion + this is pretty interesting .
    - Poul Wittig

A full understanding of the material intended for the N+ exam wouldn't go a miss either.
    Without knowing the material for that exam, you are really going to struggle and end up asking a lot of basic questions that probably won't get answered in the way that you would like, as that kind of knowledge is considered a prerequisite before even attempting to use backtrack.