Thread: thoughts on 2 vs 4 gb ram?

Default thoughts on 2 vs 4 gb ram?

I'm looking at a new Duo Core 2 laptop. My current configuration includes 2gb of RAM.

Any suggestions on whether it's worth the extra cash to go for the 4gb?

My main config will consist of: B|T 3 beta, w/ a Windows Vista Virtual Machine.

Outside of pen testing, I'll be using the new laptop for little more then surfing, emailing, and the occasional MS Office app (required) for work related activities.

Thanks in advance.

prelate

Developer

I'm a firm believer in more ram is always better specifically when running virtual machines. Others may have a different opinion though.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I'm a firm believer in more ram is always better specifically when running virtual machines. Others may have a different opinion though.
    What are you crazy? 128mb of ram all the way! I got vmware running ubuntu, bt3, fedora, Vista, and leopard. All on my pentium 2 ibm laptop with 128 ram! C'mon!

( I guess I need to explain that this is sarcasm for those out there that dont get it, You know who you are).
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

More is almost always better, and 4GB these days does not seem like overkill.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

640K of ram should be enough for anyone.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies and advice. Turns out the upgrade will only run me $100 more so it seems like a no brainer.

It's been several years since I ordered my last system, I feel like a kid in a candy store. But I either need to stop with the upgrades or intercept the credit card bill before the wife sees it.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prelate View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the quick replies and advice. Turns out the upgrade will only run me $100 more so it seems like a no brainer.

It's been several years since I ordered my last system, I feel like a kid in a candy store. But I either need to stop with the upgrades or intercept the credit card bill before the wife sees it.
    Once you pop you can't stop. I'm a gadget junkie. Although since getting married it has calmed down quite a bit. I've been salivating over quite a few thing at the moment that I really dont need lol.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!