Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just get me going here Please

Just burned his ISO

Default Just get me going here Please

Ok, I'm a big newb when it comes to linux and Back Track 3 and all this stuff, i'm useing this to try and crack my own WEP encrypted network (to show my friend that it can be done) (seen it on youtube). Now, i'm a decently advanced computer user but this stuff just fooled me from the git-go, noone said you had to pretty much build it from the ground up before you could do anything on it. Ok, so here's the deal, I am currenty running Back Track 3 from an ISO useing VMware. I have a dell wireless 1395 wlan Mini-card. Now i read all the stuff about gettin it to work, and downoaded Ndiswrapper and read how to install it, also all the files but come to find out that i have to download and install a Kernel shouldn't that be one big thing linux should come with or something? well i have the version 2.6.21.5 and i downloaded it and followed all the instructions to install it and BAM! it freezes on me, and when i go back and look for the file in back track, it's not there anymore. i guess i don't have all of the tools and compilers and stuff. so can anyone point me where i need to get all of these files so i can ATLEAST get the Back Track to WORK? lol. I try to do the wget commands and most of the commands i type in (which are in the howto section) say that they are not real commands and won't work. Someone just tell me where i can download this stuff and BOOM BOOM BOOM get on the right path?

Default Re: Just get me going here Please

We dont support BackTrack 3 here. Why dont you try with BackTrack 4.

You may have issues unless you get a better wireless card however. Broadcom based cards have never worked very well for wireless cracking.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

You know alot about back track 4, but can't tell me how to get back track 3 just to "work"? Or won't tell me just because you don't "support" it? If so, Not cool.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kwikvirus368 View Post
    You know alot about back track 4, but can't tell me how to get back track 3 just to "work"? Or won't tell me just because you don't "support" it? If so, Not cool.
    No support for BT3 period. That should have been enough of an explanation. Especially coming from a moderator.
    Now if you have further questions in regards to the topic and using BT4 by all means use exhaust all of your resources and then make a post if need be, in this thread. Otherwise the topic is dead.

If you want something that "just works" go get a Mac. If you want to use BackTrack however, you need to accept that you will have to learn a bit about Linux before you can start to really do stuff.

And regardless of how "not cool" you may think it is, the practice of not supporting older software releases is fairly common, and when you are not paying for said support I dont think you are really in a position to complain about it. So if you want to use BackTrack and get support here, do as I suggest and try BackTrack 4.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Someone just tell me where i can download this stuff and BOOM BOOM BOOM get on the right path?
    There is no big red h4x0r 1t n0wz! button.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    There is no big red h4x0r 1t n0wz! button.
    Heh, when I first saw that post I was actually thinking "This is the type of post that usually makes thorin mention the h4x0r 1t n0wz! button". Good to see you don't disappoint!

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Heh, when I first saw that post I was actually thinking "This is the type of post that usually makes thorin mention the h4x0r 1t n0wz! button". Good to see you don't disappoint!
    What ever happened with the h4x0r 1t n0w button? I'm pretty sure streaker69 really wasn't going to charge for it....

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What ever happened with the h4x0r 1t n0w button? I'm pretty sure streaker69 really wasn't going to charge for it....
    Oh I guess if they want t use it, I could release the image under GPL.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Oh I guess if they want t use it, I could release the image under GPL.
    Nice to see you are alive and come over to the new forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast