Thread: Backtrack Presentation

Hybrid View

Default Backtrack Presentation

I'm the president of the Information Systems Analysis Club at my college, and I'm going to do a short presentation on B|T. I was wondering what everyone sees as a highlight. For my presentation I'm not going to go into any real depth, just skimming the surface.

The reason I ask for this is because I don't want to go up there and show autopwn or how to crack WEP keys or anything. If they want to learn that stuff they can find out for themselves.

Thanks!

I know that you probably think BT is an amazing thing, as do I.

A presentation at a college would be nice, but if you just skim the surface you will just be saying "Look at my GUI! I can customize it."

It wouldn't be a bad idea to show them a regular linux distro (not stripped down, with hardly any manual pages as an example).

Backtrack is a penetration-tester CD, so how are you going to show them BT if you don't plan on hacking? Show all of the basic applications that Windows can support, as well?

Just my spoof on that one, skimming the surface would be a 1 minute presentation in my eyes...

Sorry for the poor wording. It'll be a 45 min presentation, tops. I just don't want to demonstrate breaking WEP or anything so then the members would all go home and be leet haxorz. I understand with the skimming the surface would be hard and it will. I want it to be more informational rather than a "zomg become a l33t h@x0r!" If that makes any sense.

I could show nmap and a few others and that would be fine. Then again, I can just do all the commands for WEP fast enough that they won't be able to write them down or anything.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

You could do your presentation in reverse. Meaning, instead of showing how powerful BT is, show how weak other things are. Don't focus on the tools per sea, but focus on what the average person can do to protect against such attacks.

After all, it is part of a Pen-testers job to inform the great unwashed of the problems that are out there.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Wow, thanks a lot, Streaker. I never thought about going at it like that. I'll try to get some stuff together and do that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You could do your presentation in reverse. Meaning, instead of showing how powerful BT is, show how weak other things are. Don't focus on the tools per sea, but focus on what the average person can do to protect against such attacks.

After all, it is part of a Pen-testers job to inform the great unwashed of the problems that are out there.
    That sounds like a great suggestion, typical of you to give an answer that shows thinking outside the box. With any luck it will get people thinking about their own security, rather than how to defeat other peoples.