Thread: Dependencies are worse than dependents!

Default Dependencies are worse than dependents!

Everytime i try to install a virtualization package, i get dependency issues. The only thing that installed fine, was VMPlayer - and it can't make new VMs. blah.

Virtual box wants libidl - which i installed, but then it has other problems (wants to have the kernel updated, and that's a little over my head), qtemu won't run well either... i noticed that ubuntu somehow found a way to manage packages rather well with apt-get - it gets all the dependencies and downloads/installs them along with the core packages i get. Is there a way to get slapt-get to do the same? Or is it that the slax repository is just not set up for it (or the slax packages dont reference all dependencies?)

Thx

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RageLtMan View Post
    Everytime i try to install a virtualization package, i get dependency issues.
    . Is there a way to get slapt-get to do the same? Or is it that the slax repository is just not set up for it (or the slax packages dont reference all dependencies?)
    Thx
    In regards to getting slapt-get to "do the same" then look at the slap-getFAQ
    It will tell you about dependency issues.
    Look at entry number 10 specifically
    Next up if you would like more background as to the "why no dependencies are auto downloaded then check slackware package info site and it will explain more about it.
    Good, bad, or ugly it seems as though "thats the way it is"

Hope this helps out
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

heh, i hate it when things are "just the way they are" damnit. I wonder if there's any chance of getting the devs to move this thing to a more distributed code base like debian (ubuntu or a derivative). Might make it a lot more popular

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by RageLtMan View Post
    heh, i hate it when things are "just the way they are" damnit. I wonder if there's any chance of getting the devs to move this thing to a more distributed code base like debian (ubuntu or a derivative). Might make it a lot more popular
    Feel free to create your own pentesting distro based on whatever platform you would like. This is the great thing about open source. Don't like ours create your own. I'm sure a lot of linux distros were started with a good resentment.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Feel free to create your own pentesting distro based on whatever platform you would like. This is the great thing about open source. Don't like ours create your own. I'm sure a lot of linux distros were started with a good resentment.
    Aka- Ess Tee Eff Yuu
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

heh, yeah, that seems about right...

Ok, fine, so i'm not up to the task of migrating BT to a platform where someone else did the package management work for me.

So what's the answer/solution then - installing libraries is straight forward enough (if found online), but i keep running into incompatibilities between all the versions of stuff i install. I figure by now my installation is as confused as i am. Is there any way to pull dependencies in an organized manner?

Developer

If we knew what you were trying to install exactly we may be able to help. One app at a time I don't need a huge list. Give us the one your having the most trouble with. Usually its a matter of installing to the proper place and creating links.

thanks h@t3. virtualbox OSE is giving me the biggest headache actually has anyone gotten it to work? If so, how?

Developer

I'll give it a go later and see what i can find out. Have you tried compiling from source? also are we in bt2 or bt3 here?

Thanks H@te, I'm using BT3 and so far i've been able to get VBox "installed", but it won't run - says it can't get at /dev/VirtualBox and that i need to do something with the kernel