Thread: Laptop under AC power and battery

Default Laptop under AC power and battery

OK, this is really weird.

I've installed BT3 nicely onto my laptop, and so far I've been playing around checking my own network. It was all fine, as the laptop was connected to a power source 99% of the time. Strangely enough, my MN-720 WiFi card managed to send packets at 450 PPS.

However, when I took the laptop over to my friend house (he wanted to see it, and I wanted to check if I can replicate my tests on other networks than my own; he agreed), the whole thing started to act... weird.

First off, no longer could I send packets at 450PPS, but at a slow 10 PPS (more than that, and aireplay-ng would stop with a 'cant allocate memory' error). Secondly, when just decided to connect to the network, the connection was very unstable, despite being meters away from the router.

When I came back home, and plugged the laptop in to charge it up, I checked again my network again, and yup, everything worked fine.

So... I think it's safe to say that the whole thing behaves differently when running on battery power. And here's my question: any way to make it work the same regardless of power source (assuming this is something with the system config, and not the laptops hardware itself)?

PS. The laptop is an old Dell Inspiron 5100, if it's of any help.

Check bio's for energy saving options related to what to do when on battery power vs ac.
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Sometimes powersaving features may freak out the wifi card.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

But that's the thing. There aren't any options in BIOS, and any optioins regarding powersaving in BT3 seem to be turned off.