View Poll Results: What screening method combination would you prefer?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • As it is now, 3 days waiting

17 34.69%
  • 3 days waiting AND 3 posts

16 32.65%
  • 3 days waiting AND 3 moderated posts

12 24.49%
  • Other, I will post my own below

4 8.16%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spam control measures, your vote counts!

Post Spam control measures, your vote counts!

Greetings,

As some may already have noticed we have implemented a waiting period of three days for new users, during which only posts to the Newbies Area are allowed. This was done in an effort to cut down spam, and give the newcomers time to read the forums and maybe have their questions answered before asking them.

While this cuts down some of the spam, today someone registered a couple of weeks ago posted a couple of spam threads.

The question is simple - pick the combination of waiting features you'd like to see enforced. After they are in place, we will start to prune and cleanup the forums a bit more.

Regards,

Mother
    In God we trust, all others we monitor

Just burned his ISO

IMHO 3 days is a lot.

If I had had to wait 3 days, I'd never post just like I've done with hydrogenaudio.
    Currently another board I visit has a similar problem with fake registrations. They decided to add a trap to the registration process : the website field must stay blank otherwise the registration is silently dropped. Of course, this field can be changed in the user's CP (there's a notice right to the field during registration). There's also a website keyword blacklist.
    And last, something I've forgotten.

Well, you can post in the newbies area if you really need urgent help - and the truth is that most help requests are not that urgent, and most questions have already been answered one way or another, so searching is also an option.

We found a way to restrict posting URLs until a user has 15 posts, so maybe the waiting period will be removed in the future. Let's see how it plays out.

Regards,

Mother
    In God we trust, all others we monitor

Just burned his ISO

Today every one wants the information as fast as possible and no one cares the good stuff thats already written. In a kind very pitty, so i think a newbie can use the search button and keep quite

Just burned his ISO

I an glad something is being done about all the spam. What ever way Mother can and thinks is best, we should try. Just my 2 cents....

Just burned his ISO

I say no waiting time, and moderate a min of 3 posts, but this will put some stress on the moderators. Up to you fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother View Post
    Greetings,

As some may already have noticed we have implemented a waiting period of three days for new users, during which only posts to the Newbies Area are allowed. This was done in an effort to cut down spam, and give the newcomers time to read the forums and maybe have their questions answered before asking them.
    Only 3 days, making it 14 days would be better, because as soon as some n00b's can post they ask question that have already been answered or the answers are in the manuals.

example:- how do i exit a man page.

Developer

I think that as long as they can post in the newbie area that the waiting period could be upped to 7 or 14 days like some one suggested

Just burned his ISO

Why not just set the forum up with reCAPTCHA (http://recaptcha.net/)?

Many of the newer spammer programs can defeat captcha.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast