Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little question about WPA password strength

Default A little question about WPA password strength

OK, so every tutorial and article about WPA and attempts at it's hacking says the same thing: the password of the network you are attempting to hack needs to be in your dictionary.

OK, fine. If that is the case, why does everyone suggest to use a very long password then? I'm not saying "don't do it", and I understand that the longer, the better, but what are the odds of someone having, in their dictionary, a key composed of 8 completely random characters? Or a bit less random, but the characters still are neither a word nor anything logical?

Do people have, in their dictionaries, some sort of 'brute force list', composing of every possible combination of keys of lesser length?

Developer

Thats the whole point isnt it. It would be much easier to bruteforce a 8 char. password than a 63 char. password wouldn't it.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

There was a website where you could input your password and it would tell you how long it would take to crack it. A 63 Alpha-Numerical-Symbol password would take a long time. The router would probably die of old age before you cracked it.

EDIT: Not the one I was thinking of, but along the same lines I believe

http://www.lockdown.co.uk/?pg=combi&s=articles
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

Default Time to break Calc

This one is pretty good

xxx.lastbit.com/pswcalc.asp

As usual, replace x's with w's

M

But in that case...

are there any tools for brute force cracking?

Just burned his ISO

There are rainbow tables for WPA. so if your password is not a certain length 12 characters I believe. (At least with the tables I have) then you can crack it rather quickly with cowpatty.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaamaan View Post
    But in that case...

are there any tools for brute force cracking?
    Nope. There's no such thing at a password brute-forcing tool.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

hi i,m from belgium and i have a wpa handshake in a cap file , but when i do a dictionary atack i can't retrive the passphrase because i think it's a dutch name. are there dutch dictionary's ? And can rainbow crack be useful ? (sorry for bad engelich)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaamaan View Post
    I'm not saying "don't do it", and I understand that the longer, the better, but what are the odds of someone having, in their dictionary, a key composed of 8 completely random characters? Or a bit less random, but the characters still are neither a word nor anything logical?
    "This list was sorted and all passphrases < 8 or > 64 were removed due to the minimum and maximum passphrase length in WPA-PSK. The grand total words was ~172,000"
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

From "the book":
    If you’re wondering about the possibility of computing true rainbow tables in the sense of creating hashes for every character in the keyspace, considering the following math: If you limited yourself to alphanumeric characters and no “special” characters (62 characters), the total keyspace for an 8 character password is in excess of 218 trillion. Considering that our 172,000 word file creates a single 7.2 MB hash file, the keyspace is 1.26 trillion times larger. Our answer is in the petabyte range (a petabyte is 1,000 terrabytes), which is far beyond any current storage capabilities. Adding special characters doesn’t make it anymore ridiculous, and that’s only one table for one SSID.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast