Thread: dell inspiron 1100

Just burned his ISO

Default dell inspiron 1100

Hello,

I have tried booting BT from CD on a Dell inspiron 1100 with A32 bios and it mostly works except for the monitor. I am stuck with a screen that is maybe 3x5 inches. The rest is dark. I have to choose BT3 Text mode to get this far. Both the default xorg.conf and xconf generated xorg.conf don't work. I.E. nothing appears on the screen and system appears to hang. I will attach the xconf generated xorg.conf to this post.

Thanks,

Yeah I was wonderin what the dilio was on this too. Except when I use the same parameters that I use for BT2 and then startx, it just reverts back to the command prompt with the 'ol screen's found, but none have a usable configuration excuse. Were you successful with getting full resolution in BT2? Post you hardware specs and I'll holla back atcha

Just burned his ISO

The video is an onboard Intel graphics chip, a Intel Corp. 82845G/GL (shared memory). In BT2 I get either the no screens found or a blank screen and a lockup.

Thanks,

that sucks >.<

Okay, you have the same box as me:

1. Choose number 6 for the non-interlaced,1078x768 @ 60 hz for your screen.

2. Then choose option 4 for a 40-150 hz refresh rate

3. Choose number 15, for a generic Intel 810 graphics chipset.

4. Then press 9 for 64 megs of dedicated video memory.

5. press one and then "432" to change your default res to 1078x768 for 8 bit color. press "n" for the other oversize screen thing. then do the same "432" for 16 and 32 bit color.

6. Then choose option 5 for 24 bit color as your default. press "y" to save this xorg.conf and you should be golden

If you don't get full screen resolution after this let me know and we will take it from there.......... good luck and happy startxing!

ps....... this is for a correct BT2 display. I'm still working on the bt3 support.......let ya know when I hooked it up. and I hope you flashed your A32 BIOS revision correctly.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you MisterCrash. BT2 is fine now.

>and I hope you flashed your A32 BIOS revision correctly

<me getting nervous>What does this mean? I did the usual steps when I flash most dell bioses. I download the bios from dell's website using the XP partition, run the exe, it flashes, reboot, the bios says the correct version. The bios in 1100 says A32. Is there something I missed?

Thanks,

Nope. as long as it says "A32" when you boot up you're all set. I had to burn the bios as a live cd and then boot the cd to flash the bios. I wish I knew Dell still supported these ancient cinder blocks. oh well. Glad to hear BT2 is all squared away now for you. Happy BackTracking.