Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a CD to bypass no boot from USB BIOS

Just burned his ISO

Default Using a CD to bypass no boot from USB BIOS

Well, just recently I have bought a new 2gb flash drive so I can install BT3 on it, and due to my lack of attention I've discovered that I cannot boot from my USB flash drive.

I am, however, attempting to first boot into a CD and then from there boot into the correct BT3 'live install'

What I have done is:
    1) Formated flash drive as FAT32
    2) Copied BT3 flash drive install (boot and bt3 folders) to the flash drive
    3) Then I have made a bootable cd which includes the following files:
    boot.cat initrd.gz isolinux.bin isolinux.cfg vmlinuz

(This approach is adapted from this guide: neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=269145)

vmlinuz is the original file from the BT3 flash drive install
    initrd.gz is also the original file from the BT3 flash drive install
    isolinux.cfg includes the following calls (adapted from the same file from BT3):

default linux
    timeout 0
    label linux
    kernel vmlinuz acpi=off noacpi
    append vga=0x317 initrd=initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/sda1 rw chexpand=256 autoexec=xconf;kdm

Now, I boot the CD - It successfully loads the vmlinuz and initrd.gz but it fails at a point where it states that it is exiting the live install and then it hangs at:
    Usage: init 0123456SsQqAaBbCcUu

I am quite sure I must be doing something wrong and I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you.
    [ Running BT3 ]

I've successfully boated up a fewer older laptops and desktops that don't recognize usb drives. Using WakePup from puppylinux.com. It's a floppy based boot disc that recognizes usb devices (one of the few I might add, floppy wise). I read another post that someone else has done the same and wrote a couple bat script to help boot. In my experience using WakePuP my flash drive is recognized as C: drive. Changing to /boot/dos/ directory on my flash drive and running BT.bat. I begin to boot off the usb drive with the bios knowing any different. This has worked for me using BT2 and BT3 Beta.

Only issue I've some about is with video card support on some older stations. Which is to be expected considering some of the stations. Otherwise this works quite well if you can't boot from USB, CDROM or don't have a DVD drive.

Hope this helps!

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

hey thinks for the info about wakepup !
    I have an older laptop that doesnt recognize a dvd on boot up but it does recognize the cd rom drive
    it has one of those cd/dvd drives but when i tried the bt3 dvd it didnt work but using a cd with bt3 worked just fine
    again thanks for the info!!
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

irrelevant answer

if he succefully load wmlinuz, but stuck after , it may be 2 thing

1 : iso corrupted

2 : you have not wipe your partition (write zeros) while formatting it , and old datas are stuck in the drive .....

3 : avoid create fat32 part under linux or don't forget to write zero on the first 512 bytes of the part, make it entirely compatible MS filesystem

4 : advice dl gparted live cd & the usb installer on their site
    really useful for part manip
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by tybalt View Post
    I've successfully boated up a fewer older laptops and desktops that don't recognize usb drives. Using WakePup from puppylinux.com. It's a floppy based boot disc that recognizes usb devices (one of the few I might add, floppy wise). I read another post that someone else has done the same and wrote a couple bat script to help boot. In my experience using WakePuP my flash drive is recognized as C: drive. Changing to /boot/dos/ directory on my flash drive and running BT.bat. I begin to boot off the usb drive with the bios knowing any different. This has worked for me using BT2 and BT3 Beta.

Only issue I've some about is with video card support on some older stations. Which is to be expected considering some of the stations. Otherwise this works quite well if you can't boot from USB, CDROM or don't have a DVD drive.

Hope this helps!
    Could you possibly give me a short guide on how to exactly do so....I like the wakepup approach from what Ive been reading from the website.

As far as I understand there is the wakepup to begin with. I downloaded the wakepup.iso which I plan to put on a cd. Then there is the set of files: IDEHD, USBHD and USBFLASH which serve as marker files. For my purposes, since I want to boot BT3 from a flash drive I would use USBFLASH. Now, I put the USBFLASH marker file on my flash drive containing BT3 install.

I boot from the CD containing wakepup and it will find the marker file USBFLASH and thus boot my BT3 ? ....

I am, however, unable to find anywhere where I can download the marker files.
    [ Running BT3 ]

I did not need any marker files to boot off my usb device. As I am continusly running linux. I just followed the simple instructions on:

Code:
    hxxp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7979
    To create a boot floppy. As for creating a boot cd, I can't help you there as I've never tried using it with the mentioned link. Boot floppy has worked well for me.

I just downloaded it the zip file from here:

Code:
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=1045
    Did a low level format:

Code:
    fdformat /dev/fd0
    Formatted the floppy to FAT:

Code:
    mkdosfs /dev/fd0
    Unzipped the file:

Code:
    unzip wkpup202.zip
    And finally:

Code:
    dd if=WKPUP202.IMG of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
    Which created my boot floppy to boot my usb device. As for instructions under Window$ I can't help you out there much. But, once I had created the boot floppy under Linux and upon a reboot, I had no issues booting off the USB device.

Just burned his ISO

Well I tried it again and it does work without marker files, but it seems to hang at the same point.

When it tries scanning for USB devices it does not say no usb devices find but it just hangs at: ... Scanning for USB devices ...

I left it as long as 5 minutes and its still stuck at that step.

I dont think I am doing anything wrong for the install of the bt3 on a flash drive through windows:
    1) format the flash drive (tried both fat32 and 16)
    2) make sure both boot and bt3 folders are on that flash drive
    3) run the bootinst.bat

...thats it, then I burn and run the wakepup - so far, hangs at that point....grrrr
    [ Running BT3 ]

I haven't had any issues with WakePup freezing on me. I have had it not recognize my device a couple times. After completely shutting down the computer. Waiting a couple seconds. Plug in usb device. Then turn on pc and have it boot off of the floppy. Then WakePup seemed to not have any problems finding my drive anyway. It recognizes my flash drive as C:

There maybe other boot floppy's or CDs that available that may work better for you. Smart Boot Manager could be one of them. If I'm recalling correctly SBM runs off CD.

How to make a wakepup2 floppy disk
    ----------------------------------
    With a formatted 1.44MB diskette in the floppy drive, do one of the following:

1) In DOS/Windows, unzip WKPUP202.ZIP in a temp dir and execute MAKEDISK.BAT

2) In Linux, copy WKPUP202.ZIP to a temp dir and execute:
    # unzip WKPUP202.ZIP
    # dd if=WKPUP202.IMG of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

Using wakepup2
    --------------
    I have provided the marker files IDEHD, USBHD and USBFLASH for convenience on the wakepup2 floppy. Just copy the one you need to the drive you want to boot from containing the Puppy2 files INITRD.GZ, PUP_xxx.SFS and VMLINUZ. The CD-ROM doesn't need a marker file.

Examples of booting Puppy2 with wakepup2:

- Boot from a built-in hard disk: copy the IDEHD marker file to the drive containing the Puppy2 files, then boot using wakepup2.

- Boot from a USB hard disk: copy the USBHD file to the drive containing the Puppy2 files, then boot using wakepup2.

- Boot from a USB flash pen: copy the USBFLASH file to the drive containing the Puppy2 files, then boot using wakepup2.

- Boot from a built-in IDE or external USB CD-ROM: no marker file is needed - wakepup2 should find the Puppy2 files anyway.

wakepup2 will pause after the USB driver has scanned for USB devices. If it detects one, it will print a short id string. If not, it will print "Target USB device not found".

Notes
    -----
    - wakepup2 can only find Puppy2 files on DOS (FAT16 or FAT32) formatted partitions.

- wakepup2 does not seem to work with some USB flash drives. Check Puppy Linux Wiki for tips on working USB flash drives.

- If wakepup2 cannot find your USB flash device, it may help to re-format it (FAT16)
    Pulled from murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7979. The marker files are all on the floppy once it has been created. You can try to copy the needed one to your USB device once the disc is created. I haven't as of yet needed them. But, as you see only some devices may work. You need to look into it for your specific FLASH DRIVE

A list of known compatible USB devices that work with WakePup are listed here:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/USBWorking

Just burned his ISO

Well, for what its worth, it seems that my USB flash drive works correctly with wakepup which is great. Im still having problems of wakepup hanging at the step where its looking for a usb device - grrr.....I might look around for some different approaches on how to boot from the usb
    [ Running BT3 ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast