Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is This Allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by dapirates1 View Post
    The only people who would buy this are:

1 People who don't know were to download it from free
    2 people who cant google for Backtrack distro
    3 people who cant burn a cd
    4 Complete idiots

These people would not know what to do with backtrack when they got it , if they cant at least do the above.
    So why bother paying for it then
    ( i bloody hate ebay anyhow lol)
    That explains a lot of the questions we've been getting lately.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

that sucks that all that energy goes into making the software and this ends up happening.

I'm just wondering what the chances are of people selling these disks embedding their own rootkits / backdoors into the OS....
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

plenty....

never buy stuff you can't ensure from where it comes from....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

I bought one of those magazines that comes with BT. They threw some commercial software onto the live CD and threw their own CD label on it. Shitty magazine, BTW.

Default Tbh, Ithink many of you are failing to see the whole picture

Hi,

I mean for someone to know the very name - Back|Track means they know it's a free open source OS. Therefore people that buy this either cannot for some reason download it whether it be due to them having dialup connections or no internet at all (using a library computer or something to purchase it for home non-internet use)

..I reckon you really gotta look outside the box here in this instance.

The guy aint gonna make it rich selling one of the cd's a week or whatever but will be doing good to people that couldn't get any other way.

Maybe even a faulty burner..?

Who really knows.

Just burned his ISO

I've tried writing this twice already, submit and browser mysteries wipe it out, perhaps I should heed the signs and not try, but I do also like pretending to be smart about something

Licensing being one

There is nothing illegal at all with the CD distribution for $, as there is nothing illegal about any of us making a $ at consulting, integration services, or someone offering support services.

GPL at least facilitates and perhaps encourages this kind of free market. Free doesn't mean no competition.

back|Track may see this as a value added service which they have no interest to get into. Although its a free market so if they wanted to get into the CD distribution they could. They can put a link to the CD guys website on the project page, and ask for 10% of all revenues, etc.

Back|Track, if concerned - and it appears they are not -, could put trademark restrictions on their logos, name, graphics and then not give permission to copy their trademarked material. This putting a real damper on people distributing the software as they need to remove all such trademarks first. this approach is not violating GPL and is exactly what Redhat does,

I went to Barnes and K-noble not long ago. I picked up a couple of books you know and a mocha, Im looking and I see the January Hackin9. So Im like cool I'll get this.I go to check out and the girl says, "that'll be $69". I'm like wtf did you just say? I say how much was the mag? $15? .wtf she says, " yea, but it has a cd in it" Guess what the cd is. Thats right BT. $$$
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeppersGhost View Post
    I went to Barnes and K-noble not long ago. I picked up a couple of books you know and a mocha, Im looking and I see the January Hackin9. So Im like cool I'll get this.I go to check out and the girl says, "that'll be $69". I'm like wtf did you just say? I say how much was the mag? $15? .wtf she says, " yea, but it has a cd in it" Guess what the cd is. Thats right BT. $$$
    Don't know where you got the mag but I bought mine both in the us
    and they were $14.99 plus tax each and they both have the backtrack cd
    issue 6/2007 (13) vol. 2 no. 6
    and issue 4/2007 (11) vol. 2 no. 4
    Now I am not 100% sure on this but I believe that hakin9 paid some money to the backtrack dev team. when we surf over to: http://www.remote-exploit.org/services.html

then we can see: Complete Replacement:
    Price: 600,- Euro
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast