Thread: PC changes and compiz nvidia

Default PC changes and compiz nvidia

some tips

nvidia lzm in optional module

modify syslinux cfg

LABEL pchanges
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode with Persistent Changes
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw changes=/mnt/sdb3 load=nvidia,cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx

create changes folder to where u want it, mine is sdb3 on a ext2 partition

boot into bt3,

shell

nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals

nvidia-xconfig -d 24

ctrl+alt+backspace

login

see it in action here, nothing illegal w w w .youtube.com/watch?v=77MXyrQkqb8

Nice video,

I have compiz-fusion working on Ubuntu Gutsy, and it works well with my nvidia 8800GTX on my desktop and with the Nvidia 8400M on my laptop (fails on my other Alienware m9700 notebook :/ ).

However, I tried your configuration for compiz-fusion on my pendrive BT3 and it doesn't seem to be woking, no graphics effects are visible although I can call up the compiz manager, but the effects don't seem to work, in the open consoles you can't see what is being typed and they can't be closed.

Not sure what's wrong, any suggestions?

Developer

The tested navidia fix is on the wiki.

Thanks for the reply. Followed the tutorial to the letter on the wiki, which pretty much follows what hm2075 stated, but still having problems.

Steps I took:

1. Placed the nvidia.lzm module and plcaced it in the BT3/optional folder

2. opened up the syslinux.cfg file in the boot/syslinux folder and added nvidia to the loaded modules: "load=nvidia,cubez" (I did this under the nvidia-compiz experimental section):

LABEL cubez
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (Compiz Nvidia) - Experimental
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND changes=/dev/sdb3 vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=256 load=nvidia,cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx
    3. saved the syslinux.cfg file

now when I booted with the pendrive, after 90% of the loading process is done the screen goes blank for a few seconds then it comes back to the boot screen asking me to log in. I log in with "root" and "toor" then type "startx". The screen then goes blank for a second then there is an error messege:

NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidia0 (Input/Output error)
    Rechecked my steps and edits, everything looks fine. Again, I know compiz works on my system since it works for me with Gutsy, so I'm not sure what the problem is here.

EDIT: I just tried the pendrive on my Alienware m9700 (dual 7900 GS Video Cards) and compiz worked. This is really peculiar since my Gutsy compiz install doesn't work on the Alienware but on my desktop (Nvidia 8800GTX and my other notebook Nvidia 8400M). This is the exact opposite behavior I expected since Nvidia doesn't even distribute regular drivers for the m9700, I have to get custom drivers from Alienware for it to work in SLI mode, so you would think that compiz would have less of a chance to work on the Alienware.

I'm still not sure why the other 2 cards wouldn't be supported since they certainly work under Gutsy. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'll do some more research.

Just burned his ISO

I think I have a solution for you, Zermelo.

Try this instead of nvidia.lzm module:

Get this: h**p://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.07/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run

Type: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run

My 8600 GT didn't work but after I did this it worked like a charm.
    (If this works for you also, please update wiki, thanks!)

Good luck!

Default Thanks, it worked

Quote Originally Posted by throat View Post
    I think I have a solution for you, Zermelo.

Try this instead of nvidia.lzm module:

Get this: h**p://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.07/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run

Type: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run

My 8600 GT didn't work but after I did this it worked like a charm.
    (If this works for you also, please update wiki, thanks!)

Good luck!
    Throat, thanks. That actually worked. Although the effects are still kind of buggy, but they are working for the most part.

This driver update that you mentioned should really be mentioned on the instructions in the wiki.

Thanks again. BTW where did you find that?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Zermelo View Post
    Throat, thanks. That actually worked. Although it is but the effects are still kind of buggy, but they are working for the most part.

This driver update that you mentioned should really be mentioned on the instructions in the wiki.

Thanks again. BTW where did you find that?
    Glad to know it worked

I discovered by myself using BT2... I spent an afternoon trying to make it work and researching forums and stuff... But it is actually a very simple procedure.

Maybe there's a way to make a new lzm module containing the updated driver. If someone could teach me I can do this.

Developer

We will be testing it and if its valid and not just a fluke I will create a new .lzm.

Just burned his ISO

Default Nvidia 8600gt

I have an nvidia 8600 gt oc and and am unable to use the .lzm or the .pgk when i install the .lzm and ad load=nvidia to the command line whatever mode i am using i get the "errorNVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidia0 (Input/Output error)" and "module already installed"

when I install the .pgk any mode i am using changes will not load anymore with the same errors as above
    the fix on wiki made matters worse for me with the .lzm i was unable to boot in any mode until going into mc mode and changing xorg.conf back
    so compiz is not working at all.if i choose compiz manager i cant not drag windows or use my keyboard, it has to be in kwin to work,
    any suggestions?

i am also having a problem that may or may not be related regarding the file, gdkconfig.h missing with several different packages i have tried to install. and have tried pasting it as well as linking it, still same problem,

Just get the plain old installer directly from NVidia's homepage and run it from the commandline with no XServer running. As far as I tried it out on several machines with BT3 there was never an issue and it won't take long or require one to download a lot of extra stuff.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá