Thread: All shell windows (KDE) close after 1-2 hours of inactivity

Just burned his ISO

Question All shell windows (KDE) close after 1-2 hours of inactivity

Hi,
    I am a BT3 newbee.I installed BT3 Beta a week ago and it looks great Great job.

I noticed a few times that the KDE Desktop closes all shell windows after 2-3 hours of inactivity on the desktop (i.e. that i haven't used the keyboard nor the mouse).

Do you know how to disable this setting please so that the desktop keeps running overnight?

Thanks,
    P.

Ah so thats why all my shell windows closed down while i was sleeping xD

No wonder i was becomming mad and thought it was just normal.
    I haven't seen the option anywhere, but i believe google might have the answer
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Just burned his ISO

Glad I am not alone indeed.

I tried to google it but i found nothing - i guess i am using keywords which are too generic, for example
    <backtrack linux kde shuts down inactivity>

Yeah these keywords are not really that good.

You are saying that the shell closes and you don't mention that at all in your search query.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Thanks K.

To me, as a newbeee, it looks like the KDE shuts down so that is why i used those keywords (and many others fyi).

P.

No offense meant but maybe you should start with another Linux distro at first then.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

No problem K.
    I have used SuSe and RedHat Linux quite a lot at work the last few years but as an application developer-deployer [without an xwindows interface and without root access], and unfortunately not as a system-admin. Now the time has come to learn the interesting system-level stuff. I am using the Live CD stuff since I cannot afford to destroy one of the servers yet :P

Regards,
    P.

Yeah hehe ;D

Well i would write a google query maybe like: "shell quits automatic" kde.
    Or maybe some other query, but i have only thought it was annoying 1 time
    where i was doing something with FastTrack and weren't near the computer

PS: Just install it as dual boot at home if you need to do that. Use Partition Magic to resize ur partition.
    [quote][I]I realized, that I had fallen down from the top of the mountain into a deep, terrifying and dark hole, just to find out that another mountain in front of me, much greater than the previous, was the next step in life. I began to wander uphill on the next mountain of life while I knew it would be much harder than the previous mountain. [/I]- MaXe[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by pantaluna View Post
    No problem K.
    I have used SuSe and RedHat Linux quite a lot at work the last few years but as an application developer-deployer [without an xwindows interface and without root access], and unfortunately not as a system-admin. Now the time has come to learn the interesting system-level stuff. I am using the Live CD stuff since I cannot afford to destroy one of the servers yet :P

Regards,
    P.
    A good approach

At least you know the Linux basics then and you should know how the Linux system is set up more or less. What I really like is that it has so many switches and that one can customize almost everything. The downside is that you have to find where it is hidden But well I prefer that to Windows.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

I'am about to read the KDE forums for this issue and hopefullya solution can be found over there