Thread: Black screen when booting BT2 in VMware

Just burned his ISO

Default Black screen when booting BT2 in VMware

I recently downloaded the BT2 iso and decided that I wanted to try it out for a while. I mess up something every time I try to repartition my hard drive, so I opted for a virtual machine. After partitioning the virtual drive and using the installer in the GUI, I rebooted the virtual machine to find just a black screen with a little white _ cursor staring at me. Nothing at all comes up besides that. Did something go wrong with the installation? Everything boots fine from live CD.

From what you have said, yes you did do something wrong.

Did you follow one of the tutorials on installing backtrack in vmware on this forum.

Just burned his ISO

Bleh, I followed the hard drive install instructions, assuming they would work. Now I realize that I'm pretty sure I forgot to copy the bootloader over. Great distro, although I'm not really a fan of KDE. Do you know if there is a Gnome version, or if there's a way to recompile one? Thanks for the help, these forums have lots of great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseguyxp View Post
    Bleh, I followed the hard drive install instructions, assuming they would work. Now I realize that I'm pretty sure I forgot to copy the bootloader over. Great distro, although I'm not really a fan of KDE. Do you know if there is a Gnome version, or if there's a way to recompile one? Thanks for the help, these forums have lots of great stuff.
    As I know, you can compile everything with BT2--so gnome too.

domi007
    127.0.0.1 sweety 127.0.0.1???

Home, sweety home

-by HK!