Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back|Track and Gnome

Just burned his ISO

Default Back|Track and Gnome

Have the developers of BT considered using the Gnome window manager? I am just curious as to why they decided to use KDE over Gnome. Considering that Gnome is considered by many to be faster and more stable than KDE in general, I wonder what the benefit to KDE over Gnome is in BT?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emergent View Post
    Have the developers of BT considered using the Gnome window manager? I am just curious as to why they decided to use KDE over Gnome. Considering that Gnome is considered by many to be faster and more stable than KDE in general, I wonder what the benefit to KDE over Gnome is in BT?
    Although I cant speak for the bt developers choice of windows management.
    The question of kde vs. gnome is about as popular as linux vs windows is.
    having said that you can find lots of info around the net about this topic.
    Some people say that using kde is a bit easier than gnome. now for some users at one point in time this may have been true but I doubt that this is still the same. other say that in kde you can do "pretty things" like run certain aps and programs, by using kde's "USE Program" option in the background selection. while in gnome you had to use a script to do the same thing and that these scripts "never seemed to work the first time"
    so then its off to forums and faqs to get said application or program to work. While this might be true for some aps, its more likely a user error as opposed to a application error.
    On the other hand some people say that gnome is faster than kde.
    Others say that gnome is more stable and that it is easier to add themes to gnome than in kde.
    Again this is a hugely popular conversation piece, maybe this will pique the interests of others to give comments about what they like/use?
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

The only logical reasons I can see for gnome over kde are user preference and system resources. BT is very lightweight, even with kde... so light that I've had it running flawlessly on a P3 450 with 128mb of ram.

IMHO, gnome sucks.... reminds me of Ubuntu and gives me Vietnam-like flashbacks of some very bad experiences I had with FC4 rc1
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swc666 View Post
    The only logical reasons I can see for gnome over kde are user preference and system resources. BT is very lightweight, even with kde... so light that I've had it running flawlessly on a P3 450 with 128mb of ram.

IMHO, gnome sucks.... reminds me of Ubuntu and gives me Vietnam-like flashbacks of some very bad experiences I had with FC4 rc1
    ROFL!!!

Yeah when I run ubuntu, it's with Kubuntu! I didn't like gnome because of the simple fact that you can't change your wallpapers every minute in Gnome (last I checked). Yes, That is UTTERLY stupid of me. Big deal! Just wallpapers, right!? Well, I like my wallpapers. You can do it in gnome with a script, but I thought it was lame.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    ROFL!!!

Yeah when I run ubuntu, it's with Kubuntu! I didn't like gnome because of the simple fact that you can't change your wallpapers every minute in Gnome (last I checked). Yes, That is UTTERLY stupid of me. Big deal! Just wallpapers, right!? Well, I like my wallpapers. You can do it in gnome with a script, but I thought it was lame.
    Yeppers... just another element of the suckage factor that makes kde superior to gnome.

And to address my first point, if your system is really that low on resources, there is always flux (I'd rather flux it than gnome it any day)

Yeppers... just another element of the suckage factor that makes kde superior to gnome.

And to address my first point, if your system is really that low on resources, there is always flux (I'd rather flux it than gnome it any day)
    Should get BT3 running in enlightenment E17. LOL, that would be trippy. E17 never worked flawlessly for me though. Kinda buggy. But very cool.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Should get BT3 running in enlightenment E17. LOL, that would be trippy. E17 never worked flawlessly for me though. Kinda buggy. But very cool.
    whoa... looks like they have it on the nokia n800...

whoa... looks like they have it on the nokia n800...
    OMG NO WAY. That is awesome!

OMG NO WAY. That is awesome!
    Yep. I had one and sold it after 1) no progress on injection with the built in card and 2) the Maemo SDK stinx

I am just curious as to why they decided to use KDE over Gnome. Considering that Gnome is considered by many to be faster and more stable than KDE in general, I wonder what the benefit to KDE over Gnome is in BT?
    Hi,

GNOME was dropped from Slackware in 2005 in favor of KDE, which is probably why it is not included with BT.

If you have an HDD install you can build it in with a few third party offerings:

Gnome-Slacky, Dropline GNOME, GNOME SlackBuild - there are a few others but I haven't tried them, personally I would say Dropline is the easiest to build in - or you can always try and compile it from scratch yourself if you have a spare month
    Removed by -=Xploitz=-
    We do NOT allow external links. We only allow "internal" links to our forums. See PM's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast