Thread: Bactrack3 beta USB bootable: usb key life lenght?

EnculeurDePoules

Question Bactrack3 beta USB bootable: usb key life lenght?

Hey!
    I remember like 2 years ago I wanted to make a USB key bootable (dont remember why...I think it was to make a portable firefox, thunderbird...) and back in time I read that without proper precaution it will kill the usb key very quickly (week? days?). Why? Because a usb key has a limited number of cycles write/read, and installing such things will generate too much actions, causing the key to die quickly...
    Quick questions:
    - is that still true? (or was it true)
    - if its true is anything has been done to prevent that on this bactrack3 usb version? I believe like for accessing stuff on backtrack it must read/write a lot!

Well thats it!
    Thanks!

I can't see how that would be true mate.

I'm probably wrong.
    But I've been using Firefox Portable on my USB stick on a daily basis at Uni for over a year and I can't see any loss in activity, due to this

EnculeurDePoules

There’s more to quality assessment than throughput speed however. The Mean Time Between Failure rate, a measurement of how long a USB drive will function before it dies, runs as high as 100,000 read-write cycles for the better quality drives, but can run as low as 25,000 for cheaper ones that use low-end components.

Source:
    http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=uk

Thats a bit of an eye opener.