Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi newbie question bt3?

Just burned his ISO

Default Hi newbie question bt3?

Hey I'm a newbie to backtrack my friend a security officer gave me the details about this os and now I'm playing around with it over the holidays to entertain myself and also to gain some valuable knowledge as linux is not what I'm good at just yet but I'm gaining some ground. Nice to meet you all and hopefully I will be fluent soon to answer other people's questions.

So here's my first question I have a backtrack install beta 3 installed in live not real what is the difference? I didn't install the SLAX bootloader when bt3 prompted me too because it says if you have an existing operating system mine is XP it will not take into account that. So what happens when I boot up is that there is no boot screen to choose the operating system of choice it just automatically goes into windows xp. So my question is, was I meant to install SLAX this is lilo right? and if so where is the lilo.conf file to edit xp back so I can edit it for both oses to boot. I've posted this twice but trust I'm not spamming just trying to find out where I can post because I am new to forums.

Cheers,

Chars

Chars,

You say you are using the Live version? It simply means that you boot from a CD, and no changes are made to your HD. Until you install BT3b to a Hard Drive, you will not get the choice to boot to WinXP, as it resides on your HD, not the live CD.

I think that's what you were asking for?

Just burned his ISO

Hi Chars,

I believe that if you need to install lilo again, you should boot into the Live CD and run lilo again. I belive that #lilo will do. Othervice, edit your lilo config file that should be located, /mnt/hda1 (look for your BT3 partition)/etc/lilo.conf .
    I'd recomend you to read 'man lilo' and 'man lilo.conf'.

Best luck.

Developer

That is incorrect. What you need to do is boot your live cd and chroot in to whatever partition you added bt3 to. For example assuming xp is sda1 and bt3 is sda2.

bt~#chroot /mnt/sda2 /bin/bash

you will get a prompt like this if successful bt~\

then

bt~#nano /etc/lilo.conf

and add the following to the bottom

other=/dev/sda1
    label=winxp
    table=/dev/sda

hit control x and the y to save

at the next prompt bt~#lilo -v

reboot and you should be good.

Also, about the live install vs full install - the live install remains compressed, like the CD. It's a popular method for USB sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by chars098 View Post
    I've posted this twice but trust I'm not spamming just trying to find out where I can post because I am new to forums.
    Quick friendly word of advice, do not double post, post to the correct area of the forum and make sure you use descriptive titles to threads you start.

This is all part of the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

Please follow them, otherwise the mods and admins won't be so friendly next time.

Moving to a more appropriate place.

Just burned his ISO

Hey I'm sorry I did not post in here its just for some reason my account is locked from posting anywhere else but the newbie section. In all other sections of the forum I can only reply to posts. sorry now I'm going to see about my install. thanks

chars

Just burned his ISO

Hey I tried running the command chroot /mnt/sda6 /bin/bash in the terminal and it said /proc/commdline something like that no such file or directory any guesses.

cheers,

chars

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chars098 View Post
    Hey I tried running the command chroot /mnt/sda6 /bin/bash in the terminal and it said /proc/commdline something like that no such file or directory any guesses.
    cheers,
    chars
    I would guess that if you posted the results of what you were/are trying to do then you might get a better response!
    just my guess though.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

Hey the actual output is egrep: /proc/cmdline: no such file or directory after running chroot /mnt/sda6 /bin/bash

thanks

chars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast