Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BT3/XP dual boot HDD install problem-Kernel panic

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3/XP dual boot HDD install problem-Kernel panic

Hello,

I have tried installing BT3 on HDD but got some problems with that...
    I am getting "Kernel panic-not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel"

My machine: Dell Inspiron E1505/6400 laptop with 80 GB HD and 1GB RAM
    How I installed Backtrack:
    I have downloaded the USB mirror and burn the DVD...

when i have loaded with live DVD first time it loaded properly without any problem....I have worked on that and made my wireless to work with the guidlines thanks to Xploitz....then i started with HDD install and tried to follow the XP backtrack dual boot movie by muts and other peoples addons to that.....
    I have partitoned the disk in windows xp with Partitionmagic 8.0 and My disk configs are
    sda1 EXT2 with 94 MB for boot partition
    sda2 EXT2 with 6.5 GB for Backtrack
    sda3 NTFS C drive windows 20 GB primary
    --start extended-- primary
    sda5 NTFS D drive windows 45 GB Extended
    sda6 swapdrive 1000 MB extended
    --end extended--

I installed backtrack, The installation went smooth so I rebooted the system and small red Windows popped up with only linux option in that, I thought LILO boot loader will start here but it didn't. straighway it started loading the Backtrack and i got the "Kernel Panic-trying to sync" message and no further activities....

i am unable to boot from the harddisk to windows or backtrack......though i can still boot with my same old live DVD version.....
    can someone please help me out with this....atleast to start windows...

Thanks in advance

Just burned his ISO

can somebody help me out with this....
    I am not a newbie to linux but little lost with the Lilo config and MBR......
    my Lilo conf. i have loaded is
    lba32
    boot = /dev/hdc
    prompt
    timeout = 300
    change-rules
    reset
    vga = 791
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    initrd = /boot/splash.initrd
    root = /dev/sda2
    label = BackTrack
    read-only
    #windows
    other = /dev/sda3
    label = WinXP
    table = /dev/sda

Here is the contents of my /boot directory.
    bt boot # ls
    boot splash.initrd vmlinuz

then i tried lilo -v....worked perfectly....but after reboot..KEEEERRRNNNNEEEL PAAAANIIIC....

Use winsxp cd to boot your xp..fix mbr and you will boot to xp...format the bt3 partition and start to bt3 install again.....

Just burned his ISO

i have tried to boot with windows XP CD but no way.....it just do's nothing....only thing i can get is a blank screen...still trying to get whats wrong with Lilo......

Quote Originally Posted by chottu View Post
    i have tried to boot with windows XP CD but no way.....it just do's nothing....only thing i can get is a blank screen...still trying to get whats wrong with Lilo......
    After boot winxp cd choose R for repair..then type fixmbr..so you can boot to xp...

Just burned his ISO

hi Rokrmc thanks for your response...
    May be i am doing mistake here... but when i put on XP disc and start to boot from CD it just goes say press any key for continue booting and then blank screeen....nothing happens after that....
    at the same time i can boot with the BT3 DVD very well.....even i have formatted the boot partition but still its giving same kernel panic.....or is that i am little panic with the things...lol
    if something can be done with lilo or any other way.....

Just burned his ISO

hey rockrmc

No man...i have tried to use XP CD for recovery...no use i am unable to do that......i am stuck here....

can somebody point me to some solution...i am just trying each and every stuff available on google and wiki but still not getting to the point......

Ok...delete all partition,create new partition start all over again.............

Just burned his ISO

thanks a lot for your response again. i can say that is the last solution.....but somehow i dont want to loose my XP installation....
    and moreever i can boot with the BT3B live DVD so i can reinstall the BT3B or get the lilo checked or get the installation from GRUB so
    i would just request to somebody point me to the correct things....

Developer

delete this part and then lilo -v again

initrd = /boot/splash.initrd

However if you cant FIXMBR with a XP recovery cd I would say you are screwed and need to start over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast