Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installation of Backtrack 3

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    He's saying that he actually went through the install on his virtual drive I'm assuming. So the answer so far is NO you cannot get that boot screen back and you dont need it. In compiz you can switch window mangers and If you want command line only the don't startx. What else from that menu do you really need except the l33tness of the way it looks?
    Exactly. There's really no options you need in that menu besides compiz. If compiz is not working, boot bt3 that's installed on the hard drive. Plug in your usb adapter and open it in bt3. Inside your usb adapter go to /bt3/optional/
    Press f4 to open your terminal there. type in

lzm2dir cubez.lzm /

For me, that fixed my crazy compiz issues. Compiz was running on the hard drive install, but I had no l33tness. After I did that and rebooted, Bam!Sham! I got all the pretty firey windows.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    He's saying that he actually went through the install on his virtual drive I'm assuming. So the answer so far is NO you cannot get that boot screen back and you dont need it. In compiz you can switch window mangers and If you want command line only the don't startx. What else from that menu do you really need except the l33tness of the way it looks?
    nothing really just the l33tness of the way it looks , that's why i just asked if it's possible
    thx for the feedback

to alacrity: yeah as purehate said i went through the installation on my virtual drive

to spankdidly , hijackers ! : LOL

Developer

There may be a way bwise but I don't know it.

Just burned his ISO

he is talking about the thread #10191 in this forum;
    Subject: "Boot logo gone after install to HD, need help."

(I couldn't post the whole url because it says "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.")

and wants to know if he can use /etc/bootsplash/themes/Linux
    i've already looking for the answer.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by chars098 View Post
    I too am trying to install backtrack 3 beta but as a dual boot with XP. I've already looked at some posts and installed it yesterday however I don't know whether its been installed or not now because there is no boot options screen from lilo and it boots straight into windows. I'm a bit new to fiddling with the LILO boot loader and don't even know where it is so I can edit it. I did pick live install because it was default in the pop up screen and not real, have no idea what the difference is. It came up during the install do you want to install the SLAX bootloader this is lilo isn't it? and a line about taking offline any existing operating systems I aborted because I was unsure of what to do but I didn't want anything overwritten. I'm very new to linux. I would appreciate your guidance on this as it would be good to get it all up and working.

Cheers,

Chars
    hi there, you need to edit your lilo.conf file at /etc/lilo.conf
    for that you need to do the folowing commands

Code:
    nano /etc/lilo.conf
    then add a new section there that will look like this:

Code:
    other=/dev/(your windows partition, ex: sda1)
    label=Windows
    table=dev/sda(or hda deppending on the type of disk that you have)
    after this you just need to execute lilo, and you can quickly do that with the this command:
    Code:
     lilo -v
    hope that this works for you, =P if you have hany questions just ask me, and I will try to help you =)

Just burned his ISO

Default Have you considersd

Just to make things simple I just used a spare Hd that I had. I used the install and unselected the "restore MBR" option, used the "real" option and just hit F8 when my BIOS posts, I then select the hd I installed it on and that saves me all the dual boot headaches. The ISO I am using is the larger version and not the cdROM version. This works really fast and really good for me from the hd. Good Luck

Henry
    "Don't negotiate; Defenestrate"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12