Thread: Intermittent Wireless Tools not found

Default Intermittent Wireless Tools not found

I get an intermittent Wireless tools not found error

bt ~ # iwconfig
    iwconfig: error while loading shared libraries: libiw.so.28: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    bt ~ # airmon-ng
    Wireless tools not found
    bt ~ #

Seemed to originally happen if I boot up with a PCMCIA wireless adapter plugged in (Netgear WAG511) or with a USB one (Alfa AWUS036H).

After a few reboots without Wireless adapter(s) plugged in it now seems to be a permanent error
    Have installed the wireless tools manually
    works until a reboot then same error
    have to install it manually every time I want it.

Virgin BT3 install on IDE HDD on a Vaio GRT 815E dual booting with XP.

Also get the same problem on a Dell Optiplex gx520 with same adapters - SDA HDD, default install, single boot.

Not motivated enough to troubleshoot it just yet as it is only a nuisance at the moment but will get around to it tomorrow when it starts to irk me - plus I now need to roll the laptop back to BT2 for work tomorrow :-S

Any log files/configs you want me to post, let me know.
    Removed by -=Xploitz=-
    We do NOT allow external links. We only allow "internal" links to our forums. See PM's.

Seems to be a problem due to installing BT3 over BT2 - incompatibility between the wireless tools versions. I had upgraded them on BT2 and they remained on my HDD when I upgraded to BT3 kind of screwed everything up - I ended up with memory alloc errors every time I opened anything.

Tried to roll back to BT2 by using the install BT2 application however it didn't overwrite some files left over from BT3 and KDE screwed up with a plethora of errors - flux worked fine though but it had the BT3 wallpaper and that blue hand thingy when BT3 starts. Strange.

Format and start again seems to be the quickest way to proceed.
    Removed by -=Xploitz=-
    We do NOT allow external links. We only allow "internal" links to our forums. See PM's.