Kismet not working? (and wesside question)
One of the strange things i've noticed is that in BT3b, Kismet just crashes out - it pops up the kismet window after device selection for a fraction of a second, then its gone... anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
Also, for wesside, i can't seem to find an option which would target an ESSID, it just seems to get the one it picks up 1st.
i have also been fighting this, just so you know your not alone.
for kismet you have to edit the config file in /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf and put in your source interface. as for wesside-ng, i cant get it to even work. its pretty buggy.
dont know that I would say its buggy (its just config issues on the user part no bugs), i realized that the link in the kde was starting the auto-config script and that was messing up the changes I made. not sure why the auto-config isnt loading up my stuff as it should but all is well now.
airmon-ng made me think of the error of the autoconfig
do you have the kismet.conf file correctly edited?
do iwconfig to see the device alias (eth1, eth0, etc.)
will show you the location of the kismet.conf
source = 'driver','device',somename
source = bcm43xx,eth1,broadcom (note, there can't be any spaces after the commas)
then (push escape)
to write and exit,
as an aside, can someone tell me where the actual kismet readme file is in bt3? i was just using the one off the internet
i dont think this is a configuration error, but if you know whats going on here help me out. http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10400
Originally Posted by spudgunman
thought we were still talking about kismet, missed out on the wesside (im using a intel so i havent experenced the madwifi issues yet)
Please use correct forum when posting...
Please use the appropriate sub-forum. This is a software issue, so the "Software related issues" sounds a likely candidate
I haven't had any problems with either kismet or wesside-ng. On my beta-test laptop (i.e. 1.8GHz P4 M) it only took a paltry 11 minutes to crack 64 bit WEP. But, regardless it all seems to work... Running a Netgear WG511T and a Ubiquiti SRC 300mW -- both are Atheros.
For Wesside just use the -v option
but I will say that prefer to do it manually as Wesside is very hit and miss on time taken.
Quickest = 1:46mins
Longest = 5:39 hrs and mins.
Both were on the same AP (I also didn't change my password in between attempts)
Its a Beta.