Thread: Tripple boot question

Default Tripple boot question

Hey guys, i'm trying to figure out how to tripple boot my system...
    I used to have WinVista, Ubuntu 7.1 and BT2 installed on my HD. Ubuntu ran grub to load all the OS' but it could never load BT2 - kept giving me an "unable to mount partition error 17" thing. I tried getting it to boot BT3, no dice either. Ideally, i'd like to have everything loaded through grub simply because i'm not too familliar with LILO, but if i have to use LILO, could someone give me a quick set of directions so i could pull my head out of my ignirant arse? Thanks

Developer

It is possible as I have done it. The best thing is to install windows, bt and then unbuntu and grub should see every thing. The only other way is to read the grub manual and it will tell you how to make a slax entry or visit the ubuntu forums and ask them.

Thanks, i've got windows installed, now i'm going to reinstall BT3 and Ubuntu. I can install bt3 as a full distro, right? I dont have to make it into a "Live!" version on the HD?

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Windows-Bt3-Ubuntu is the easiest by far. Yes, you should be able to install the full version of Bt3, not Live.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    Windows-Bt3-Ubuntu is the easiest by far. Yes, you should be able to install the full version of Bt3, not Live.
    Happy to hear you say that. I have off and on for the last four days been trying to do that unsuccessfully. I have tried over half a dozen different grub configurations for BT3 and end up with one of two results; BT3 boots but then kernel panics or BT3 fails to boot at all and I get a general error message.

BTW, I have reinstalled XP SP2, BT3 and Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) as recommended in one post twice during the course of troubleshooting this issue.

Care to share your working grub configuration with those of us who simply have not been able to figure it out?

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

I guess not. I install windows, BT, then ubuntu and it has always worked for me. I dont use any secret tricks. I did run into a problem once where grub couldn't find a file for the BT, So I booted off the ubuntu livecd and edited the grub file from there. It was vmlinuz=custom or something like that was causing the problems. I just edited it to point at /dev/hda2 I believe. doesn't sound like your case though.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO thecheekymonkey's Avatar

I have installed windows - backtrack 2 - backtrack 3

installed windows.
    installed backtrack 2 (ext2) , then use qtparted to make this partition active. you loose the use of the windows partition/s for a moment.

then restart and boot into the hdd version of backtrack2. open lilo config and run through the procedure to detect your windows and linux partitions. then write the master boot record. (if you get an error use the lilo -v command).

then use qtparted again to create a new partition for your bt3 install (i just used another ext2 partition , being a little of a linux noob its working fine for me).

once created , whilst still in backtrack 2 find your liloconf file and edit it , i copied and pasted the section about my linux os (backt2) but edited it to point to my bt3 install and renamed the label, then lilo -v again to write the MBR.

restart and hopefully you should now have a lilo menu with all three options, you can also edit in the liloconf the default = option to specify which to load.

hope this helps, more of a pointer than a tutorial.

i presume this would work for many OS`s.

hope this helps.

Just burned his ISO

hello,
    i'm also about to install backtrack 3
    i've already installed win xp and bt 2 on my hdd using lilo as bootloader.
    can you please post your lilo.conf (with win/bt2/bt3) so i can configure it the same way ?
    thx