Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to open /dev/sda...???? bt2 problem

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Someone call MSNBC! Thorin messed up! We all saw it! Now we can wait another year or two until the next documented one. It's like waiting for a lunar eclipse. Not that I uh was waitin or nothin.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    Someone call MSNBC! Thorin messed up! We all saw it! Now we can wait another year or two until the next documented one. It's like waiting for a lunar eclipse. Not that I uh was waitin or nothin.
    Well in thorin's defense, I have to admit that up until about a year ago I was stuck on the psychological premise of always trying to unmount when I should have been umount'ing, but fortunately it only took a 12 week session of aggressive shock therapy to overcome the issue.
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

yeah, I just had to find SOMETHING on thorin. Now I got him where I want him. Which I guess is the same place as before. So really, there's nothing to see here.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just do the following:

type "mount" inside a terminal window, to see which devices are mounted.

after, type "umount <device>" where <device> is in your case /dev/sda.

Example:
    Code:
    mount
    /dev/hda1
    /dev/hda2
    /dev/hda4
    umount /dev/hda4

Just burned his ISO

Default same issue with \dev\sda on bt3

I've booted the bt3 live cd inside vmware workstation with the intention of installing it there.
    Trouble is, I've got no disks! This is a fresh vmware machine and i've created a 3GB (pre-allocated) SCSI disk. bt3 starts up seemingly fine (the startup info scrolls past rather quickly and I haven't yet worked out how to get a proper look at this, but I haven't seen anything untoward) and once I've logged-in, the mount command gives the following:
    aufs on / type aufs (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

I'm a 'nix newbie, but I have installed bt2 in vmware before without problems.

I should be seeing /dev/sda right? Does anyone have any idea why I'm not?

I'm running VMWare 5.5x on XPSP2 with SATA

Just burned his ISO

Right then. Having spent all afternoon being very thorough and comparing the various tutorials very thoroughly and trying each and every permutation of every difference between them I have found that one setting during creation of a virtual machine was the culprit for my missing disk.
    When choosing an I/O adapter type, the SCSI Adapter using "Bus Logic" should be selected.
    On VMWare 5.5.5 on win32 the default selection when creating a linux VM is "LSI Logic" and this does not work. Choose "Bus Logic". Choose Life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12