Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALFA 500mw USB card - Major problems during packet injection

Default ALFA 500mw USB card - Major problems during packet injection

Hello,

I wonder if anyone else is having these problems..

After playing about with my 128bit WEP linksys box, i go through all the stages but during the weak IVS collection (i get about 500pps) errors come up on the airodump-ng shell :

"Read Failed: Network is down
    interface wlan0:
    ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX) failed: No such device
    Can't reopen wlan0"

And on the aireplay-ng shell of packet injection:

"Error for wireless request "set mode" (8B06:
    SET failed on device wlan0; No such device"

--

Major problems. I have tried this twice now. Same thing each time. I get about 30,000 or more IVS and bang! .. this happens.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
    ecsployt

500mw USB card. wat the hell ya tryin to connect to, the hubble telescope.

i wouldnt mind testing that thing. i'v been a good boy so santa might bring me one. i cant help ya with your prob but bamn.

Just burned his ISO

Default Try this Test for your hardware

After the injection fails. and it says no interface found.

Do iwconfig to see if wlan0 is still there.
    If it is not there refresh your drivers or reboot to see if it comes back.

Once your interface is running again, start airodump-ng and watch the screen.

While airodump is running wiggle the miniB plug on the card, if your interface drops out you have a faulty cable. If the interface stays up wiggle the usb ends of the cable. If it goes down you have a faulty cable.

This exact thing happened to me I had to repair my cable to make it work dependably.

I have 3 alpha cards and one repaired cable. One of my cards was doing the same thing in BT2.

If your interface stays up the whole time you are checking your cable then the cable is not your problem and I have not helped you. I do however believe this is worth a try for you.

M

Default Hi, encountering more strange things with this..

Cheers for the input.

You might be right with the cable, it's rebooting just now it couldn't even detect it after that.

Strange thing is.. i have a Iwl4965 b/g/n card inbuilt into my laptop. It's usualy wlan1. So i thought. I had the ALfa plugged in which is Wlan0, anyway i was testing out the airodump under wlan0 and wiggling the cable but it was working fine... then i pulled out the cable and it was still catching packets.. i was thinking to myself.. "holy sh@* how the F*%k is that doing that??"

Then after a minute i realised it was the inbuilt card.

I then opened up kismet which wouldn't run. So i plugged in the Alfa, and changed kismet.conf source=rt8180,wlan0,ALFA

..then tried kismet. It opened fine. Was running then i decided to wiggle the cable.. nothing.

..I then pulled the cable out and it was still running.!! ("holy sweet mother of god i was thinking.. (not quite)) but, it appears that kismet only runs with the intel wireless card when i change the .conf settings to Alfa's settings?

WTF?

..i just rebooted the system and now i can't even get the Alfa card to show up on the system. It's plugged in but it's not there.

I have no clue to what's going on here.

HEeeEeeeEelllllllLLLpppp it's a nightare!!

Just burned his ISO

I was having the same type of problem. I have a built in Intel card and BT3 is naming it wlan0. My ALFA card could ONLY be seen if I plug it in AFTER BT3 launches, then its named WLAN1. To get me up and running, I just changed Kismet to read rt8180,wlan1,rt8180 and then I was good to go. Strange. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on because I assumed that WLAN0 was my ALFA (as it was in BT2).

Default Hello Dirtscience.

You are very right, through trial and error i have found that it must be the wire.

I held the card in my hand whilst entering 'ifconfig' in the shell and moving it about.. it wouldn't be there then it would... i would hold it still press the up key, hit enter it would still be there.. then i'd move it and it wouldn't.

How did you manage to sort it out?

(by buying 2 more ? lol)

I hope there's a way. I only got it yesterday!!

Incredibly strange. Especially hoe Kismet only starts to work when i put in configuration settings for ALFA with only the intel wirless card working

Just burned his ISO

I got incredibly lucky fixing my cable. I do not take responsibility if you decide to do as I did, but I will tell you how I fixed mine. Sounds like your cable might be worse than mine was at least I could get airodump-ng running with mine. And with that I was able to trouble shoot where the problem in the cable was.

Your First solution should be to try and resolve this with the seller, if it is as new as you say. They should work with you on this if any part of your purchase was defective. If you have a windows box around try to use it on there and see if windows detects it then loses it as linux seems to be doing.

The cable I fixed was high use and the end was more than likely damaged do to all the moving around I did with my card : May not work for you!

If you dont have any experience splicing these small cables I dont recommend this fix. Only attempt this if you cant get resolution from the seller. If the seller wont work with you then you have nothing to lose. Just be dang sure its your cable and not a lose connector on the card.

I had an adapter lying around that goes from regular usb plug to miniB.

1.) I cut the miniB plug off of my cable.

2.) Cut the end off of an old usb cable. (I also had lying around)

3.) Splice the male plug from the old usb cable in-place of the cut off minib plug. These cables are insulated and shielded, the wires are very small and it takes great patience. If you have a magnifying glass mounted on a stand (like for soldering projects.) use it. If your splice works. plug regular usb to minib adapter into your card then your new plug into the adapter. Good luck and I hope you dont have to go this route.

Again I hate telling anyone to butcher a cable. Only do it if you think it is your only option.

Default Thanks for the tips!

I really don't want to go down that route. If only there were wires like that available. I did a search and couldn't find a cable of the sort.

I hope i don't need to go down that route though. I will just contact my supplier and try getting it replaced.

Good to know i'm not the only one with sh** luck.

Just burned his ISO

I looked everywhere I could think of before trying the hack job on my cable, I could not find one either.

Good luck.

M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast