Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo T60, T61, T42

Junior Member imported_spudgunman's Avatar

T41 works fine, didnt test anything but KDE

Default T61p

T61p works only in VESA
    Crashes in compiz.
    IPW3945 and IPWRAW work with wiki bug fix!
    NO SOUND....Never had sound with BT2 either... maybe I'm doing something wrong. Tried alsaconf with no luck.

UPDATE: Found sound hack for T61p, might work with other lenovo laptops, with ICH8 family audio....Go here
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10466

It seems that with ATI FireGL V5200 it first loads the ATi driver, then crashes and returns to vesa driver. Checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log I can see that it first loads the ati driver, then the ATI Radeon driver which doesn't support the ATI FireGL V5200 video card. So it all crashes.
    Okay, searching the compiz forum reveals a myriad of interesting information. Maybe someone who managed to get compiz running with this video card or another ATI video card can just give some advice which ati drivers to install and how - since I downloaded a lot of drivers and installed them by now but with no success. I'm sick of that at the moment......
    :-(

PS: maybe some moderator could move this thread to "NON-WORKING HARDWARE" please!

PS2: the same issue with Lenovo R60 with Radeon X1400 video card!
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Developer

Sorry hawai67 wish I could be more help but all the cards I have got working are intel so I do not have the hardware to try and help you.

No problem pureh@te - thanks anyway for your answer.
    It really looks like there's a deficit for ATI card driver support

Just burned his ISO

Hello, I recently downloaded BT3 abd installed it to my USB thumb drive. I also have a Thinkpad T61 that uses the Atheros AR5008 chipset. My problem is this, I find that wireless assistant not to be very reliable in connecting to wireless access points. In other distros of Linux, like Suse, and Fedora, I used network manager to connected very easy to different AP's that used wpa2 encryption. Seeing BT3 uses kde, I would like to use Kdenetwork manager to manage my wireless access points much like I did in the other distros. My question is this, is there any good tuts on how is the best way of installing kdenetwork manager? I have tried downloading the source code for kdenetwork and im in dependenacy hell with it. I tried searching the forums for any information, but only found to posts that just mentioned it briefly but didnt go into details. i know you can set this all up via the shell, but i am at a college campus that has wireless APs all over campus, even in the dorms and having to edit config files everytime I changed AP's would get annoying fast. Hince my need for something like kdenetwork manager that works a whole lot better than wifi assistant or wifi manager... thank you in advance for anyone that might be able to help me or atleast get me started in the correct direction. I also tried downloading the kdenetwork.mo from slax.org and turned it into a .lzm and put it into my /BT3/modules folder, but it doesnt appear to be what I am looking for... Thanks

Do it the easy way ;-)

use slapt-get

but first you have to edit the /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc like this:

Code:
    # See /usr/doc/slapt-get-0.9.12a/example.slapt-getrc
    # for example source entries and configuration hints.
    WORKINGDIR=/var/slapt-get
    EXCLUDE=^kernel-.*,^alsa-.*,^glibc.*,.*-[0-9]+dl$,^devs$,^udev$,aaa_elflibs,x86_64
    #SOURCE=ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-12.0/
    #SOURCE=http://software.jaos.org/slackpacks/12.0/
    #SOURCE=ftp://mirrors.blueyonder.co.uk/sites/ftp.slackware.com/slackware-current
    SOURCE=http://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/slackware/addon/slacky/slackware-12.0
    Or you upgrade slapt-get to a newer version, then you needn't edit the config, but i think it is easier.

After this you can use slapt-get.
    I think the kdenetworkmanager should be installed this way:

Code:
    slapt-get --install kdenetwork-3.5.7-i486-1

Hope this helps!

Greetz

Just burned his ISO

Thank you Juststormy for your respose kdenetwork installed, but my only question now is how do I start kdenetwork manager now and be able to have a tray icon in order to see and connect to different wireless AP's?

Thank you

Finally I got compiz to work with my ATI video card.
    But I had to make an HDD install, and to:

- download the newest driver from the ATI webpage
    - install the new driver
    - initiate an aticonfig --initial
    - check that fglrx is working with fglrxinfo. Output is sth. like this:
    Code:
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5200
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7170 FireGL Release
    - edit the xorg.conf and add the following to the end:

Code:
    Section "Extensions"
            Option "Composite" "On"
    EndSection
    That worked really fine with me!
    Note that I have a HDD installation. I tried the same with the USB live system but it didn't work there! Weird! Even the driver installation didn't work well.

Ok, compiz is working, but the X server crashes from time to time.............has anybody any idea????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast