Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro

Just burned his ISO

I got my MBP Dec of 2007. I am booting BT3 from the iso on my hard drive. It only works in Vesa mode, I'm using Parallels 3.0 build 4128, and it's having issues with resolution(same issue when you install Ubuntu as a vm). Anyway, I'm also lost between whether or not I can use my built in air card. Running iwconfig finds "no wireless extensions."

I have a Linksys WUSB54G I tried to use, Parallels detects it and points it to BT, but I can seems to see it...any ideas?

I did a search and found little info, but I figured this is a MBP thread so I chose to post it here.

Thanks!

E

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elms350 View Post
    I got my MBP Dec of 2007. I am booting BT3 from the iso on my hard drive. It only works in Vesa mode, I'm using Parallels 3.0 build 4128, and it's having issues with resolution(same issue when you install Ubuntu as a vm). Anyway, I'm also lost between whether or not I can use my built in air card. Running iwconfig finds "no wireless extensions."

I have a Linksys WUSB54G I tried to use, Parallels detects it and points it to BT, but I can seems to see it...any ideas?

I did a search and found little info, but I figured this is a MBP thread so I chose to post it here.

Thanks!

E
    Parallels seems to have problems with the resolution on my machine (at least with Leopard). I updated it and it fixed a few things. I don't think you will get your airport card to work. I have an Hwug1 Usb Ralink card, I couldn't get it to work for awhile, but I realized that if it was detected IN leopard I could switch it over IN Parallels just before BT booted up completely. So there should be option for usb to be used IN the host system or in the virtual machine in parallels preferences. Mine was not detected unless I attached it(through the menu's in parallels) AS the virtual machine was booting up. Not physically. Softwarily.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Spank! That makes sense to enable/switch to it first in Leopard since I have BT set to "share network" in Parallels. I'll give that a shot with the Linksys WUSB54G. But for some reason though I doubt the 54G will work. So I bought an Alfa card on ebay.

I'll be sure to post any issues or resolutions for future reference.

Thanks -

E

Just remember to post back your outcome. I didn't think my usb card would work either. I just happened to try that and from that point on it worked very well. I think the software has a hard time "switching" back and forth in leopard for some reason. Not sure why. I was just happy to get it working.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

Okay, Leopard did not detect my Linksys WUSB54G. I did a little research and I think only version 4 of this device is OS X compatible. I went on the Linksys site and found that I have version 1. Which makes sense because I've had this thing for a couple of years.

I hope I have less issues with the Alfa USB G/B with Antenna Jack. I'll post the outcome of that when I get it.

E

what chipset is it?

Please do report on that Alfa USB Wifi dongle. I've got a buddy who is looking into one for his G4 Mac Mini.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    what chipset is it?
    It's a RealTek chipset.

Okay, I got the Afla USB last week but I didn't get a chance to install it until now. So here's what I've done so far...

1. Installed using factory CD Software Suite v1.2.6 RTL8187 drivers. Leopard is able to see the new device as en4 and I have to launch the Realteck WLAN Utility to manage my connections(which by the way is the worst wireless utility I've ever used). Anyway, I chose my AP and it connects just fine. Everything seems to work ok at first, but after I browse 1-2 sites it hangs. It seems like the internet connection gets clogged or something. The status still says connected, and the signal strength is still fluctuating like its connected. It only seems to work with the first 1 or 2 things I choose to launch like Firefox or iChat then it stops working.

2. I did some research and found other driver versions like v1.4.5 and v1.4.7. So I installed these to see how they'd work. As a side note, I made sure to use the uninstall script that came with each driver. Both versions produced the same issue as the factory driver.

3. I found this forum which mentions that Realtek is going to release a driver for Leopard later this month...

forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=61311

I'm out of ideas, if anyone has one they'd like me to try please let me know, and I'll post back the results. I'm using a MBP 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo purchased in Dec of 2007. Below is a link to the Alfa USB I purchased.

data-alliance.net/servlet/the-75/alfa-AWUS036E-RealTek-Turbo/Detail

FYI - I sent an email to Realtek and they responded this morning. A Leopard compatible driver of RTL8187 will be release before end of March.

Booo...I was so excited about getting this card. Oh well, I guess I'll be lurking around here until I can get my feet wet.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by elms350 View Post
    It's a RealTek chipset.

Okay, I got the Afla USB last week but I didn't get a chance to install it until now. So here's what I've done so far...

1. Installed using factory CD Software Suite v1.2.6 RTL8187 drivers. Leopard is able to see the new device as en4 and I have to launch the Realteck WLAN Utility to manage my connections(which by the way is the worst wireless utility I've ever used). Anyway, I chose my AP and it connects just fine. Everything seems to work ok at first, but after I browse 1-2 sites it hangs. It seems like the internet connection gets clogged or something. The status still says connected, and the signal strength is still fluctuating like its connected. It only seems to work with the first 1 or 2 things I choose to launch like Firefox or iChat then it stops working.

2. I did some research and found other driver versions like v1.4.5 and v1.4.7. So I installed these to see how they'd work. As a side note, I made sure to use the uninstall script that came with each driver. Both versions produced the same issue as the factory driver.

3. I found this forum which mentions that Realtek is going to release a driver for Leopard later this month...

forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=61311

I'm out of ideas, if anyone has one they'd like me to try please let me know, and I'll post back the results. I'm using a MBP 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo purchased in Dec of 2007. Below is a link to the Alfa USB I purchased.

data-alliance.net/servlet/the-75/alfa-AWUS036E-RealTek-Turbo/Detail

FYI - I sent an email to Realtek and they responded this morning. A Leopard compatible driver of RTL8187 will be release before end of March.

Booo...I was so excited about getting this card. Oh well, I guess I'll be lurking around here until I can get my feet wet.
    What I found is that, setting the (very ugly and bad)config-tool to 802.11b only makes a lot of difference under OSX Leopard, but still the tool loses connections because of mysterious reasons..

Its a very bad config tool, and very buggy..

iwconfig under linux does a better job..

Still the rtl8187 is an amazing card but the driver sux big time ....

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    I have an Hwug1 Usb Ralink card, I couldn't get it to work for awhile, but I realized that if it was detected IN leopard I could switch it over IN Parallels just before BT booted up completely. So there should be option for usb to be used IN the host system or in the virtual machine in parallels preferences. Mine was not detected unless I attached it(through the menu's in parallels) AS the virtual machine was booting up. Not physically. Softwarily.
    Hey Spank,

Can you ellaborate on the steps you take to perform this? I see what you're talking about in Parallels on how to manage USB. Should I have it set to connect to "Mac OS X", "Guest OS", or "Ask me what to do?" And at what point should the card be in the USB slot?

Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast