Thread: Dell Inspiron 1720

Cool Dell Inspiron 1720

No hardware problems at all... even IPW3945 wireless works out of the box.

Just burned his ISO

Doesn't work for me, although I am very new to Linux so it may be me as the problem :P

iwconfig shows wlan0 information, but I can't load kismet. No errors, it simply doesn't run. When I run Wicrawl, I receive notice that there are no interfaces. I can only assume that the built in wireless card isn't recognised...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by BT3Linuxnoob View Post
    Doesn't work for me, although I am very new to Linux so it may be me as the problem :P

iwconfig shows wlan0 information, but I can't load kismet. No errors, it simply doesn't run. When I run Wicrawl, I receive notice that there are no interfaces. I can only assume that the built in wireless card isn't recognised...
    I had 2 Dells, and one is an Inspiron 9200 and the other is the new 1720, both run bt3 fine but the w-interfaces have to be manually loaded so mad-wifi drivers can be used. There is a small thing with kismet not working from the link on the menu. Do a search or scan the forums and you should find a temp/perm fix to kismet. Then search for getting your wlan0 UP.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks Deadphyre, I'm looking into it now. I ran it as a liveCD so no config changes, but am getting the USB distro now. As far as I can tell, the problem is with the lack of native support for IPW3945. I can't inject.

I'll search the forums for workarounds.

As it stands, I've found BT3 loads fine using a LiveCD on the Dell Inspiron 1720, but is unable to be used effectively "out of the box".

Just burned his ISO

Sorry, I just realised I don't have the IPW3945 but have IPW4965 AGN Wireless N Minicard.