Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SV-TUTZ : BT3b PERSISTENT CHANGES

Here it is the same.
    2GB Stick (1,1GB primary Fat32, 500MB parimary Ext2, rest Fat32)
    Got the same error.

md5 checksum is ok!!
    formated and wiped the usb device serveral time,
    make it bootable under windows, AND several times under Linux. no chance.

Next week i will try out an other USB-Stick.
    Under BT2 this one works well, with the same config.

btw: the mounted ext2-Partition is not "green" when i show in dir /mnt/... all others (hda, sdb1 -the fast32 one with the system, and sdb3 - the fat32 for other data) are "green" displayed

any ideas, out there guys?
    think i edited the "changes=/dev...." in syslinux.cfg right (using vi-Editor)

no problems with BT2

Update:

tested an other usb-key. the same problem at all

an other test fails also: take an second usb-key, with only a 2GB ext2 partition. edit the syslinux.cfg "changes=/dev/sdc1" but also the same error occured:

setting up directory for changes
    /dev/sdc1
    testing the filesystem for posix compatibility
    setup union directory (using aufs, with adba=none)
    mount: mounting aufs on union failed
    Fatal error occured - can't .......

a few tests later, i am testing the stick with the my BT2-UsbStick the BT2 changes partition does it!!

has nobody out there any solution, or can explain me the the errormessages coming up?

SOLVED THE PROBLEM: Manually create in ext2 partition the "changes" folder. now it works!

care to go into more detail on that please?

@merlin051:
    create in your ext2 partition (this partition u will save the changes) a folder named "changes" i.e. /dev/sdb2/changes,

mount /dev/sdb2
    mkdir changes

make sure your line in syslinux.cfg depends i.e. "changes=/dev/sdb2 ..."
    thats all.

Tested this with 3USB-Stick (won`t save the changes all the time with the error messages on top of this thread, all works well, and changes are ok on next boot.

very lucky!

did the above and now i'm getting past the aufs erroe and hitting a new one:

usage: init 0123456SsQqAaBbCcUu

then the scroll lock and caps lock led's start flashing and it just sits there, did some quick googleing and i think that means i'm telling it to look for something it cant find...

gonna go over what i did again and see if i can fix the error.

EDIT

Solved. apparently since my fingers are too fat for the buttons i managed to screw my syslinux.cfg file up, 35% of the APPEND line was tabbed down to the next line, moved this back up and my problem was sorted.

Please tell me what I'm missing.
    I formatted the 2GB USB Drive using a 1500MB ext2 primary and a 500MB ext2 primary. I copied the folders to sdb1 and ran bootlilo.sh. I edited the kde line and the persistent changes line in syslinux to include changes=/dev/sdb2. I added a folder on sdb2 named "changes". When I boot it doesn't even make a folder for changes on sdb2, it makes it on /mnt/tmp/changes, setting up directory for changes
    /mnt/tmp/changes (or slaxchanges)
    testing the filesystem for posix compatibility
    setup union directory (using aufs, with adba=none)
    mount: mounting aufs on union failed
    Fatal error occured - can't .......

Then I get the same error as everyone. I've been working on this for 3 days and would really appreciate any help.

i dont know exactly what to do ( i never run bootlilo.sh due to use a fat32 partition) But when your read SVs thread on top of this thread, i think u dont need to edit the syslinux.cfg.

format ext2
    copy BT2 Files on it
    Run bootlilo.sh (empty folder "slaxchanges" under /boot was created)
    do NOT edit syslinux.cfg
    reboot your system
    take "changes" option in bootmenu

and it does!

UPDATE: I got it working with a fat32 and ext2 together. I think the first time I did that I made the ext2 partition with PARTED and that didn't work well for me. I made in with cfdisk now, and it's working well. Thanks all.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that. I think I tried it, but I've tried so many different setups that who knows. The only problem is that the boot menu doesn't seem to show up in bootlilo. We'll see. Thanx.

EDIT: Yep, I tried it again and no luck. It starts by finding data on /dev/sdb1, but then it works with /mnt/tmp/ and the slaxchanges folder in tmp which obviously doesn't exist. Maybe there's something I have to edit in lilo.conf.
    Still can use some help Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by St3f@n View Post
    i dont know exactly what to do ( i never run bootlilo.sh due to use a fat32 partition) But when your read SVs thread on top of this thread, i think u dont need to edit the syslinux.cfg.

format ext2
    copy BT2 Files on it
    Run bootlilo.sh (empty folder "slaxchanges" under /boot was created)
    do NOT edit syslinux.cfg
    reboot your system
    take "changes" option in bootmenu

and it does!

Lightbulb

Shamanvirtuel's tutorial worked perfectly. But I was wondering if it was possible
    to change the
    changes=/dev/XXX (AN EXT2 PRIMARY PARTITION SOMEWHERE IE ON A HD)
    to the usb pen drive itself? So that all changes were saved to the usb drive.
    Is that possible under fat32? Or do I have to re-format ext2?
    Or is it possible to create a new partion in the usb pen drive as ext2
    if fat32 is not supported?
    - Poul Wittig

I have it set to save on the USB. Yes, you need to save on an ext2 partition. Either format the whole stick to ext2 and use lilo, which didn't work well for me. I have the BT3 files on a fat32 partition and save to a separate ext2 on the stick. Good luck!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast