Thread: purpose of /opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2

Just burned his ISO

Default purpose of /opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2

Hello,

I am trying to make a customized CD and have run into a disk space issue. I have searched the forums for anything that uses /opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2 but I haven't found anything. So does backtrack use /opt/oracle/instantclient_10_2 or can I safely dump it?

Thanks,

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

The Oracle website states "The Instant Client feature makes it extremely easy to deploy OCI, Oracle C++ Call Interface (OCCI), Open Database Connectivity (ODBC), and JDBC-OCI based customer applications, by eliminating the need for an Oracle home. The storage space requirement of a JDBC OCI application running in the Instant Client mode is significantly reduced compared to the same application running on a full client-side installation. The Instant Client shared libraries occupy only about one-fourth the disk space used by a full client installation."

Seems it allows for clients with limited storage capacity/capabilities to connect to larger databases that can store the information.

OAT (Oracle Auditing Tools) - is a set of tools which can be used to audit Oracle databases running on the Microsoft Windows platform, is part of the the BT|2 tool set
    so if you plan to use it then might wanna keep the instantclient

I'm going to guess that it is only there to use in conjunction with the few Oracle security tools that are included in BT2. If you don't plan on using any of them you probably will never miss it.

So I suppose it comes down to what you want to spend your time playing with...WEP/WPA keys or the resultset of 'select username, password from dba_users;'

Just burned his ISO

Thank you for the information. Oracle is low on the list of features needed so I will remove it.

Thanks,