Thread: SW that does help to adjust the radiation direction of an antenna

Hybrid View

Default SW that does help to adjust the radiation direction of an antenna

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a dedicated sw/tool that does help to adjust the radiation direction of an antenna in the best direction...

Or is it easier to do that manually e.g. with Kismet ?

Thank's a lot in advance for your feedback!

John

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by john99 View Post
    Hello,

I am wondering if there is a dedicated sw/tool that does help to adjust the radiation direction of an antenna in the best direction...

Or is it easier to do that manually e.g. with Kismet ?

Thank's a lot in advance for your feedback!

John
    You're looking for software that actually changed the radiation pattern of a given antenna? Or something that more accurately shows SNR so that you can be sure that you're aimed properly?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

i read it to mean something that more accurately shows the snr so you can aim better.

hate to say this, but when i had this problem, i used netstumbler as it has a graphical interface which shows the strength and noise so you can properly aim your antenna.

Developer

Net Stumbler is a fine tool in windows. All this anti windows talk we've been having recently is stupid. If you want to be a network admin or pentester or whatever you should learn to use every OS to its full potential.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by merlin051 View Post
    i read it to mean something that more accurately shows the snr so you can aim better.

hate to say this, but when i had this problem, i used netstumbler as it has a graphical interface which shows the strength and noise so you can properly aim your antenna.
    Netstumbler will only show accurate SNR with a fully supported card. Were you using a fully supported card?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Netstumbler will only show accurate SNR with a fully supported card. Were you using a fully supported card?

Thank's a lot for your feedback, I am using a Proxim 8470WD.

John

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Whats wrong with airodump??? Wont that read out signal strength? Also I have A add on for gkrellm that give me signal strength, Link Strength, Noise Levels and link speed. Duno if that would help you aim a bit.

Just burned his ISO

Default using airodump to aim with

I like the idea of using airodump-ng too to aim,but i set the channel to the one of the target first, and instead of monitoring signal levels(which can be off by minutes(the last valid signal level), check how fast the beacons are coming in. if they are scrolling by as fast as possible, your aim is true.