Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing BackTrack 4 on MacBook Pro (Late 2009 Model)

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Installing BackTrack 4 on MacBook Pro (Late 2009 Model)

xX_Spiidey_Xx , did you ever complete that tutorial you mentioned?

I too was about to install BT 4 Final on my MacBook Pro and read this thread where it advises not to.
    I have booted of the DVD with no problem, I would think an install on the HD (dual boot) would NOT be a problem... is this not the case?

Thanks!

Just burned his ISO

xX_Spiidey_Xx , did you ever complete that tutorial you mentioned?

I too was about to install BT 4 Final on my MacBook Pro and read this thread where it advises not to.
    I have booted of the DVD with no problem, I would think an install on the HD (dual boot) would NOT be a problem... is this not the case?

Thanks!

Just burned his ISO

Hi ,

let see if anyone can help me, about installind backtrack 4 on the macbook pro, with fusion , no problem, works perfect , am running it with a Alfa AWus036H and is amazing how it works .... besides ... Everytime I tried to use the Alfa to connect to any WIFI from the mac I get a Kernel Dump .

Any Ideas ?

I already installe the on for 10.5 , then uninstalled and then installed the one form 10.4 , seem to be ok , I´m able to see the interface and everything but in the moment i hit connect .. BAM ... kernel dump.

Just burned his ISO

hi, I am new/pathetic as well, and would appreciate help too.

i think the tutorial is here?

xX_Spiidey_Xx's BT4 Tuts: Installing Back|Track 4 Final On Mac Computers

Just burned his ISO

ah, spent the holiday today pulling my hair out. I think I have it figured out, at least for my Macbook Pro 5,3 model.
    This is a pretty lame tutorial, I wrote it for my own reference. hope it helps!

On July 4 I spent a very long time trying to figure out how to install backtrack 4 on my macbook pro 5,3.

xx_Spiidey_xx's tutorial did not help very much, as something went wrong.
    After hours of testing here is what I did.

Follow this tutorial exactly as stated: Some other tutorials will make you install refit first, & sync partition tables but to play it safe, follow the exact instructions (uninstall refit first if you have to).

How-To Install Ubuntu 8.10 on a White MacBook | FOSSwire

Once you have rEFIt installed, do not reboot the Mac. Instead, pop in your Backtrack 4 dvd/cd/external drive. Use Disk utility to burn the backtrack .iso to a DVD or Unetbootin on windows to format and write the .iso to your rewritable drive (osx disk utility has problems restoring linux distros so you have to use windows). You can find those instructions here: xX_Spiidey_Xx's BT4 Tuts: Installing Back|Track 4 Final On Mac Computers

So now you have your media connected to your computer, head over to
    System Preferences > Startup Disk. You should see Mac OSX, 10.6.4 on Macintosh HD and Network Startup. If you wait a few more seconds, any external hard drives and/or your DVD should show up. Select the disk with your linux distro and press "Restart".

Once restarting, your macbook should now boot into the live DVD or whatever media you are using it from. This isn't installation - it is merely running from the external disk.

it will present you with login:
    login: root
    password: toor

after this it should tell you that you are using the Backtrack 4 penetration distro. now type in this command:

startx

...and press enter.

Once the x-window system comes back up, you can resume the tutorial by opening up the konsole (it is not called the 'terminal' in backtrack4) and type in sudo gparted like they asked for. Go back to the first tutorial link and follow their instructions for allocating free space.

Now they talk about the "installation, as normal". I didn't really understand what they were talking about but basically click the install.sh shell script on your desktop. That will launch the installer that allows you to install BT4 permanently to your hard drive. Follow the installation normally.

Also, GRUB option is not available but you have to go to 'Advanced' preferences on the last window, the bootloader option is already checked so select /dev/sda3, just like the tutorial says.

Now you may go back to the first tutorial and follow that. To shut down, you logout (going back to the console) and press the mac power button once.

Note: a lot of drivers will not be working.
    Note: Some problems that I ran into using xx_Spiidey_xx tutorial & other BT4-specific tutorials were that the linux CD/USB never shows up, and I see a lot of 'non-system disk: press any key to reboot' errors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12