Thread: Atheros, Backtrack, Vmware, and Aireplay

Default Atheros, Backtrack, Vmware, and Aireplay

Hello All

I have installed Backtack on my HDD via vmware. Backtrack recognizes my wireless card and i can ping. Yet when I try to use aireplay it says there is no network. I do have an Atheros chipset as my wireless card. What can I do?

Stephen

Default More info

I do realize that vmware uses window's network drivers and set up. So how do I make programs such as aireplay recognize the wireless card using vmware?

Stephen,

Actually, vmware picks up the Linux driver when you go into vm. But, vmware only picks up on the usb wireless units. Since BT2 only works with Atheros pcmcia cards (BT does not work with atheros usb units), you probably need another card (usb but with a non atheros chipset).

If you do have an Atheros pcmcia card and want to use BT2, then either use the Live CD or do a hdd install.......or a BT2 qualified usb wireless unit with your vmware.

That sounds convoluted doesn't it?

Alacrity

i installed backtrack to my hdd via vmware. I do have an Atheros pcmcia card and when I login and ping yahoo for example I get reponses, yet when I use programs like aireplay it wont work it says there is nothing in the ath0 or eth0 places. What can I do?

Stephen

Stephen,

Which vmware program are you using?

I just got thru testing three different vmware software programs. I used XP as the host o/s and BT2 as the guest o/s. One of the vmware programs did connect to the Internet with my atheros pcmcia card but did not respond to the BT2 commands (as you are finding).

But, in conclusion, no pcmcia card worked with any of the vmware programs using the BT2 commands.

By any chance, do you have a usb wireless card that works with BT2?

Alacrity

Just burned his ISO Convergence's Avatar

I am new to the whole BT scene, but I can tell you that my Alfa AWUS036H has been doing the job quite nicely. I can't really tell you any specs about it because I wouldn't know what I'm talking about, but it works well in VMWare 6 when coupled with a wired connection (just make sure to enable it via the USB enablement option in VMWare 6 Workstation if you do go that route)

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    I am new to the whole BT scene, but I can tell you that my Alfa AWUS036H has been doing the job quite nicely. I can't really tell you any specs about it because I wouldn't know what I'm talking about, but it works well in VMWare 6 when coupled with a wired connection (just make sure to enable it via the USB enablement option in VMWare 6 Workstation if you do go that route)

Hey Convergence, I was wondering what steps you took to get BT to recognize your Alfa AWUS036H using VmWare 6. I'm on a Mac Book Pro and I couldn't get it to work using OS X Leopard and Parallels 3.0. But since I have boot camp installed I'm trying to get it to work using XP and VMWare 6.

1. Are you using BT3?
    2. Running on XP and VmWare 6?
    3. Did you have to install the RTL8187L drivers or did it just recognize it?

Thanks in advance.

Elms

Default Backtrack 3 + USB Atheros + VMWARE 6

Ok, here is my problem... just to add to everyones... Sorry Pro's... us n00b's need some help!

I have the Senao USB Wifi card.... which DOES have a supported atheros chipset.... but no way in hell is VMWARE BT3 picking it up!

Is there any pro that will take pitty on us/me and help?

Thanks guys!

P.S Yes, I have searched the forum... and I've Googled...

Specs:

Using the latest Backtrack 3 beta.
    Latest Vmware Workstation 6.
    Windows XP Pro with SP3... and, yes, updates to the latest of everything...lol

...and I've updated Backtrack using FastTrack.

Grrr.. running out of stuff to update here!

Just burned his ISO

Then it probablydoesn't recognize your card, it just gets internet connection from the host operating system.