Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: screen resolution doesn't change!

Just burned his ISO

Default screen resolution doesn't change!

i've a Dell LAtitude d620 with widescreen (1200x800) but i can't make backtrack run with this resolution, i've changed the xorg.conf to fit my needs, but in any case the xserver runs with 1024x768 resolution.

Since normarly (with Scientific Linux and other linux distro) i can make it work , does someone know what's going on in backtrack?

thanks
    theSnail

login as root
    you need bash , so kill server x or before kde login change to console mode.

# xorgconfig

then follow instructions and select desired resolution, graphics card, video memory, etc.

if in doubt just use 0 - Vesa mode for graphics card, only point that can screw you up is putting in the wrong monitor frequency settings. good luck.
    --
    Frank made me do it!

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

PLEASE SEARCH A LITTLE BEFORE ASK

it took me 1 minute to find why it happens, and the solution
    EXTRACTED FROM HCL PAGE AT BackTrack WIKI

Latitude D620

• Runs fine with no extra parameters.
    • Intel 945GM chipset needs the new xserver-xorg-video-intel driver to run Xorg at higher resolutions.

so find this driver install it and it will rox.....
    see u
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

intel drivers, huh? have you tried 915resolution? It supported my macbooks intel drivers just fine i have 1280x800

Just burned his ISO

Hiya.

Quote Originally Posted by theSnail View Post
    i've a Dell LAtitude d620 with widescreen (1200x800) but i can't make backtrack run with this resolution, i've changed the xorg.conf to fit my needs, but in any case the xserver runs with 1024x768 resolution.

Since normarly (with Scientific Linux and other linux distro) i can make it work , does someone know what's going on in backtrack?

thanks
    theSnail
    I have had the same problem with a DELL XPS m1210 (Intel 945GM). The screen on this is 1280x800 (not 1200x800) so there may be some differences required.

After a fair amount of investigation, this is what I've come up with:

1) Download 915resolution from www [dot] geocities [dot] com/stomljen/ Get the binary package - seems to work fine under BT2. There's some good information here as well.

(apologies for he URL obfuscation - won't let me post with URL in this message)

2) run (from command, no need to start X)

915resolution -l (that's the letter L in lowercase BTW)

This will show the video modes that the BIOS is reporting. NOTE: 1280x800 is not one of them. 915resolution patches the calls to report the real mode that you do want.

3) Now run 915resolution and replace an unused resolution with the one you want. In my case, Mode 5c: 1920x1440 isn't likely to be used by me, so I'll pick that one as the one I want to replace.

915resolution 5c 1280 800

4) Reconfigure X. As you're still in shell mode, and haven't started x, simply run

xconf

This will now setup X with the right resolutions.

5) Now, you need to select the right resolution. KDE conveniently starts up Screen Resize which should be in your task tray thingy (bottom right). Click on that, and an option for 1280x800 should exist. Select it, and it should change.

Future instances/restarts of X should default to this new resolution.

NOTES:
    - 915resolution needs to be run before configuring/starting X
    - I haven't made these commands auto-startup yet - need to get a HD install working first.
    - These commands work for me on my XPS m1210 - milage may vary, but there are a heap of systems in the same boat here.
    - would be good to get 915resolution (or a version of X that doesn't require it) into a future backtrack version, or a module to install.

Hope this helps.

Cheers -

Just burned his ISO

Default screen resulation problem

i have comaq evo n620 and i m using vmware and my screen resulation is very small how can i enlarge it

Quote Originally Posted by grave View Post
    i have comaq evo n620 and i m using vmware and my screen resulation is very small how can i enlarge it

Hold down function button..and press F7.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Just burned his ISO

Default You sure on your Resolution?

I've got a Dell D620, ran the 915resolution assuming the resolution was present. Startx failed. The correct resolution is 1440x900 for widescreen D620's on the 945 chipset; which you'll need to overwrite one of the choices, I choose 5c in my instance.

how to I make this stick so I don't have to do it manually? And YES, i need instructions; being told to search the forums isn't helpful.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by dmshady001 View Post
    I've got a Dell D620, ran the 915resolution assuming the resolution was present. Startx failed. The correct resolution is 1440x900 for widescreen D620's on the 945 chipset; which you'll need to overwrite one of the choices, I choose 5c in my instance.

how to I make this stick so I don't have to do it manually? And YES, i need instructions; being told to search the forums isn't helpful.
    I think there are many people faced with this issue and we tried to search thru the forum but only found the unusefully search instruction. Backtrack exp, please help us post the detail instruction thread for the issue in Newbie Area and no one will ask this question again

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kelix View Post
    I think there are many people faced with this issue and we tried to search thru the forum but only found the unusefully search instruction. Backtrack exp, please help us post the detail instruction thread for the issue in Newbie Area and no one will ask this question again

Thanks
    It doesn't matter how many times people post detailed instructions on any subject, there are always numerous people that will still ask the question rather than searching.

The "unusefully search instruction" is far from "unuseful" it means that it has been covered before, and if you search properly you will find the answer.

Remember who BackTrack is for, and effective search techniques is part and parcel of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast