Thread: Backtrack boot

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack boot

I have been using backtrack on several computers now, but I am unable to get a specific older one to boot on backtrack. I have tried every single boot code and in multiple different combinations but no avail.

I have been able to get to login, but when enter root/toor all I get is a repeating error that scrolls to fast for me to read. I tried to film it and slow it down but it just scrolls to fast.

The computer is a pos acer 512dx, mendocino processor with practically no ram, speaking of which I couldn't find any bt hw req specs on how much ram is needed. So if you can help please do, if you can't then don't post.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cognac View Post

The computer is a pos acer
    That sums it up right there.

So if you can help please do, if you can't then don't post.
    Oops, Sorry. Disregard this post.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

1) Did you check the MD5 of the ISO?
    2) What speed did you burn at?
    3) What software did you burn with?
    4) Did you use CD-R or -RW?
    5) Is the old POS able to boot any other LiveCD?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    1) Did you check the MD5 of the ISO?
    2) What speed did you burn at?
    3) What software did you burn with?
    4) Did you use CD-R or -RW?
    5) Is the old POS able to boot any other LiveCD?
    Thorin, Do you have these saved to a text document somewhere. Doesn't it get tiring CNTRL+C CNTRL+V over and over again?
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Just burned his ISO

sorry I meant to include that since I seen you ask it to other people repeatedly

1) yes md5 checksum is fine, plus it works perfect on other pc(s)
    2) 1x, and 2x, on different drives too.
    3) imgburn and nero
    4) cd-r only
    5) Yes, puppy, deli, and some others, but no slax or bt.

but I already knew these things and adjustments didn't help... anyone know about min hw requirements for bt?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

http://backtrack.offensive-security....le=HCL:Laptops
    see if that helps
    also check the slackware and slax websites
    www.slackware.com
    www.slax.org

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    Thorin, Do you have these saved to a text document somewhere. Doesn't it get tiring CNTRL+C CNTRL+V over and over again?
    I probably should have it stored somewhere so I can do that, but it only takes me about 10sec to type it now that I've done it soooooo many times.
    sorry I meant to include that since I seen you ask it to other people repeatedly

1) yes md5 checksum is fine, plus it works perfect on other pc(s)
    As has been demonstrated repeatedly in other threads, the ability to boot on other machines does not prove that the MD5 is valid.
    2) 1x, and 2x, on different drives too.
    3) imgburn and nero
    4) cd-r only
    5) Yes, puppy, deli, and some others, but no slax or bt.

but I already knew these things and adjustments didn't help... anyone know about min hw requirements for bt?
    I've seen reports of it running on some pretty old POS machines. However, there are sooooo many variables that come in to play it's hard to say. It could be (but isn't limited to):
    1) Old CD-ROM drives are much more picky about errors (vs current gen).
    2) Junky power supply.
    3) Junky keyboard, mouse, monitor.
    4) Dieing RAM.
    5) Dieing HD.
    6) Lack of RAM.
    7) Lack of CPU horse power. (Though re's for 6 and 7 are stated there is obviously going to be some type of minimum).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.