Thread: How do I install nvidia drivers?

Just burned his ISO

Default How do I install nvidia drivers?

After I login I type xconf and then startx but it gives me a list of errors about not being able to display kde, or whatever startx starts to load. I read somewhere else in this forum to install my nvidia drivers to fix that but how do I install them?

That would depend on what laptop you have and what hardware it has and what type of install you have, without that info you have very little chance of getting the right answer.

Just burned his ISO

Its actually a custom built desktop. I tried the get...us.nvidia....etc... command to download the drivers but got a 404 error. But I can get to it from the internet browser just not from the shell.

My second question I guess would be if I downloaded the drivers manually and put them on a USB drive how do I mount it?

I dont have a wireless card yet, I just want to play around with BT to get the hang of basic things first, but after a lot of research I will probably be getting the D-Link DWL AG530 since I read it works out of the box, hopefully lol.

Also, my vid card is nvidia 8800GTX if that helps? Is it supported in BT?

@gamer500:
    go to nvidia homepage, download the linux driver for your card.
    chmod for the file u dl,
    type sh "file-u-downloaded"
    if after install xconfig not starts @ auto, manually config it.

think u need this one: h**p://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.19/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run

after install read with: "man nvidia-xconfig" the howto,
    but i think after correct installation of the drivers obove Xconfig should start automatically

oh forgot on your second question:
    a usb flash drive should automatically mount on BT2.
    if u are on livecd/usb u can also put the file u dl into the modules folder

St.Paul

Just burned his ISO

There doesnt seem to be any man nvidia-xconfig. Actually in the man folder I did "ls" and there wasnt many man files. They were named like man1 man2 but I couldnt open any of them. Whats the command to open the man file?

How do I navigate to the usb drive?

What do you mean put them in the modules folder? Please explain Im not a linux guy.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer500 View Post
    Whats the command to open the man file?
    Surprisingly enough, it's man

EG:- man iwconfig or man kismet

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

There doesnt seem to be any man nvidia-xconfig. Actually in the man folder I did "ls" and there wasnt many man files. They were named like man1 man2 but I couldnt open any of them. Whats the command to open the man file?

How do I navigate to the usb drive?

What do you mean put them in the modules folder? Please explain Im not a linux guy.
    man1 man2 are the categories for the man pages that are found within linux. man 1 is the general commands section man 2 system calls, etc. to learn more about man pages you can read http://www.linuxmanpages.com/

To navigate to a usb drive if you are in konquerer you can type in the address bar /mnt and hit enter.
    In the shell its cd /mnt and hit enter
    then it will show you your usb drive(s)
    usually listed as sda1 etc as well as all other drives that are mounted

If u are on liveinstall with usb the modules folder is under: /BT/modules (not shure about Modules or modules.