Thread: External USB Alfa or internal pci-e athereos?

Just burned his ISO

Question External USB Alfa or internal pci-e athereos?

Hello All!

I have been reading through the forums trying to decide what to do regarding a wifi card that can inject/monitor etc... My new laptop only has a ExpressCard slot so that means i can no longer use my proxim orinoco gold card and the built in wifi is the broadcom mini pci 1390 series (booo!). So I followed the entire thread on the Alfa external USB, seems like a great card but drivers might be an issue? I then headed over to BT wiki to check out the wifi HCL and it states that the Alfa works fine out of box for both injection/monitoring?? But then references the thread about the Alfa and the homebrew drivers, where it seems like there are issues?

So should I go w/ the Alfa or should i just grab a internal mini pci-e card w/ an athereos based chip set?

Thanks!
    Straylight

Just burned his ISO

Anyone have suggestions?

I removed the dell 1390 mini pci-e and replaced with a gigabyte gn-wi01gt mini pci-e card.

works great.

theere are a few threads regarding hte 1390... try searching.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for the reply and recommendation , i will look into the gigabyte. I did search for the 1390 but the support for injection has been so/so at best for such a long time that I'm not even considering it as a reliable option.

Regards,
    Straylight

Just burned his ISO Convergence's Avatar

Granted I'm new to BT and this whole realm of IT, I picked up the ALFA card off of ebay, and after installing the drivers to the ISO I've had few troubles with some of the minor thing's I've attempted.

Also, the range is fantastic in my opinion. The only thing I have a complaint about is the windows GUI; it's not the most aesthetically pleasing or efficient.