Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hack or Crack? That is the Question.

Default Hack or Crack? That is the Question.

Okay, to some of the older members, this may be a moot argument.

Until the Media hijacked the term Hacking, it was meant to mean "someonje who works around problems in a creative or non-approved manner" or similar.

To me, the Media use of the word "Hacker" is actually what I would call a "cracker" (IE, they crack encryption etc)...

Am I alone in this train of thought? Or am I just pointlessly annoyed at the media, and fighting a losing battle?

InSanCen

Hacker was originally a person who manipulated code. Nothing more.

Now the word hacker denotes a derogatory term used towards "Black Hats" or "evil" or "malicious" type hackers.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by InSanCen View Post

Until the Media hijacked the term Hacking, it was meant to mean "someonje who works around problems in a creative or non-approved manner" or similar.

To me, the Media use of the word "Hacker" is actually what I would call a "cracker" (IE, they crack encryption etc)...

Am I alone in this train of thought? Or am I just pointlessly annoyed at the media, and fighting a losing battle?

InSanCen
    Actually there have always been several terms, Hacker and Cracker are not synonymous. A hacker would be someone that does what we do here, infiltrate systems. A cracker is generally someone that is good at cracking software, like removing the copy protection. Phreaking is almost a lost art at this point, but phreakers is how many of the real old time hackers got started. Phreaking was genearll messing with the phone system.

The media of course, lumps them all together.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I always thought hackers were people like me, taking something and making it do what it wasn't really meant to do, or designed to do.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I always thought hackers were people like me, taking something and making it do what it wasn't really meant to do, or designed to do.
    That's what i have always seen it as. The manipulation of code was just a "subset" of a hacker, until the media latched onto it.
    Ah well, was just curious, and wanted others opinions on it. I'll have a rant to the missus tonight about it, assure her of some sleep

Quote Originally Posted by InSanCen View Post

InSanCen
    Well IMHO, you've been successfully socially engineered. Just as the mass public has taken the phrase midget is demeaning to a 'Little person', you can either follow the mass (media controlled) census or formulate your own educated opinion on the subject, and educate others (or keep it to youself)... LoL
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Developer

I was and still am under the opinion that a hacker was neither good nor bad and that it is a person (as barry said) who makes things operate in ways they were not meant too. I will not let Bush , CNN or anyone else dilute my opinion either.

One of the greatest hackers of all time: McGyver

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    I was and still am under the opinion that a hacker was neither good nor bad and that it is a person (as barry said) who makes things operate in ways they were not meant too. I will not let Bush , CNN or anyone else dilute my opinion either.

One of the greatest hackers of all time: McGyver
    McGyver could make a nuclear bomb out of a pillow and some cyanide

he was one of the best hackers by far, and yes, the show rocked

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Primey View Post
    McGyver could make a nuclear bomb out of a pillow and some cyanide

he was one of the best hackers by far, and yes, the show rocked
    Yeah, but he couldn't go up against the ATeam when it came to building a large bulldozer out of scrap steel and a welder.

They just couldn't shoot fer shit.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Ya the media if freaking clueless.

Personally I say if you do anything halfway legit then avoid those terms all together. (Hacker, Cracker, Phreak, Script Kiddie, CyberPunk, etc)

At work my title is "IT Security Analyst", when I work on things outside of my 9-5 the worst I could think of myself as is an "IT Security Reverse Engineer".

Soooo many of the old things have been ruined. Hacker doesn't mean what it once did and no one uses the term kludge anymore It's a sad sad world.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast