Thread: Backtrack installation question

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack installation question

I now have Slackware Linux installed on my 60GB hard drive. Is it possible to install Backtrack like an application to my Slackware operating system? Why do I have to make a new partition? How can I install it so that I can boot to Slackware and click on a Backtrack shortcut and run it from there? Sorry for a newbie question guys..

Quote Originally Posted by TarBB View Post
    I now have Slackware Linux installed on my 60GB hard drive. Is it possible to install Backtrack like an application to my Slackware operating system?
    Backtrack is an operating system not an application. You could install VMWare and run BT as a virtual system. Or you could figure out which applications you think you need and install them on your system (removing the need to virtualize BT).
    Why do I have to make a new partition?
    You don't have to create a new partition unless you want to multi-boot your system, you can:
    1) Boot from the LiveCD.
    2) Boot from a USB device.
    How can I install it so that I can boot to Slackware and click on a Backtrack shortcut and run it from there?
    Run it under VMWare.

Do a search there is lots of info on the forums about BT and VMWare. Though keep in mind that virtualizing will cost you some performance and compatibility.

On a related note if the difference between an operating system and application are a concept which you find confusing then there are a lot of things in BT that you will likely find confusing, therefore BT may not be a good distro for you.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

That seems to answer a lot of questions, and is very helpful. Thank you very much!! . My goal right now is to crack a WEP. Is installing the necessary tools on my Slackware a better way to go around this?

Developer

If all you want to do is crack wep then yes just install the software in your distro.