Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove or Re-write MBR

Default Remove or Re-write MBR

I hope this isnít too much of a noob question but anyway Iíll ask. I think itís more of a Unix question rather than BT.

Anyway. I can Install BT on my HD without any troubles and configure the lilo to dual boot.

The problem is, I totally corrupted my BT so I formatted the BT partition and I thought I deleted the old MBR.
    I reinstalled again. But I still get the old Lilo conf that I created months ago!

In BT itself the lilo.conf show a fresh lilo without the other=/dev/sda2 that actually shows on bootup
    the boot screen shows the old lilo.conf. If this makes sence?

I booted into windows loaded partition magic and deleted the sda2 and recreated formatted, reinstalled BT again! And I played around with FDISK too, same old boot menu I created months ago, I guess itís a good thing, because lilo gives me the option to dual boot, I gues Iíll feel more inteligent if I could rectify this . But I donít want to format sda1 because I have loads of games installed in Vista. Thatís obviously where the MBR is stored.

Is there a way around this just so I can re edit the lilo again without wiping the whole drive clean?

I'm guessing that I have to install a floppy drive to load into rescue or something?

any info would be appreciated since all my unix books are useless onthis matter,

THIS IS NOT A TUTORIAL REQUEST FORUM!!

GET THIS SH1T OUT OF MY TUTORIAL SECTION!

29 post and you cant post in the right forum? Infraction given.
    Moving this post to the no0bie area.

Next time you go to my dungeon. You and your post.

[CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ģ[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]ô
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Using FDISK to (re)partition will not (re)write the MBR.

If you just want to wipe the MBR, so Lilo is gone and Windows boots normally again, or even just so you can install BT/LILO again from scratch, boot an old win '98 floppy and do:
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    Or from an XP boot disc, in repair console, do:
    Code:
    FIXMBR
    (Both the above will rewrite the MBR to boot just Windows, in the normal way.

If you want to just remove LILO, from within BT do:
    Code:
    lilo -u
    (Don't forget this last option will leave you with *no* boot record at all! Fine if you're going to re-install LILO or grub, etc, afterwards)

They're probably the simplest options, although there are many disc editing programs that will allow you to edit or zero the MBR, for instance...

XPLOITZ: was replying to post prior to moving it! ........you beat me to it

As you are doing this from the cd, you are probably making the mistake of thinking that you are editing the lilo.conf on your HD install when it is in actual fact the one on the cd you are looking at.

You said you would like to get rid of the old mbr but have not been able to, I am 95% certain that qtparted has an option to remove the mbr from the disk. But I don't think you want to do that as you already have your vista and bt installed.

What you need to do, is to chroot into the bt install, where you will be able nano etc/lilo.conf make the changes you want, save it and then write it with lilo -v at which point you can exit reboot and you should find the lilo menu entries for both vista and BT and be able to boot into either.

Hope that points you into the right direction.

Just burned his ISO

No one hit on the thing that is kinda important here. Remember the MBR is sitting at the beginning of the disk, not at the beginning of the partition. While you can right the boot information to a partition if you want, this doesn't happen by default, so even deleting all the partitions off the disk will not clear the MBR.

Like Re@lity said i would use the old dos base fdisk or the xp cd, uninstalling lilo can cause problems.

z

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    You said you would like to get rid of the old mbr but have not been able to, I am 95% certain that qtparted has an option to remove the mbr from the disk. But I don't think you want to do that as you already have your vista and bt installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by drivintin View Post
    No one hit on the thing that is kinda important here. Remember the MBR is sitting at the beginning of the disk, not at the beginning of the partition. While you can right the boot information to a partition if you want, this doesn't happen by default, so even deleting all the partitions off the disk will not clear the MBR.

Like Re@lity said i would use the old dos base fdisk or the xp cd, uninstalling lilo can cause problems.

z
    I think you missed where I said there is an alternate way, at least I am 95% sure the option is there to remove an MBR, I seem to remember using it quite recently.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

hiren's rulez situation

boot a copy of hiren boot cd
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

have a look in the mbr fix tools menu.....

hiren is my godness, she saved my life and datas so many times that i can't count .........
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Smile

Fedor,

By the way, I loved your post on another thread where you suggested to the poster we all buy him a new laptop.

On the MBR subject, I always had a challenge with the MBR. After playing with so many o/s and dual boot situations, having many MBR recovery sessions, and then finally deciding I wanted multiple o/s capabilities but not disturb the XP or VISTA MBR, I now use either a dual boot via gopher which does not risk the MBR or....I use vmware 6.02 on XP to access BT2.

Then, I still add the recovery console capability to XP and also use the Hiren Disk MBR save function. AND, on top of that I do a Ghost or Acronis partition save.

I guess you can tell how much frustration I ran into with lilo and grub! Pulled a lot of noob hair out.

But, there are many ways to skin a cat as we say in France. Of course, with the right sauce, everything tastes great in France.

Alacrity

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

alacrity ? you live in france ? really ? maybe we can meet one day...... ?

im near brittany ...... THREAD FLOOD OFF sorry...
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    I think you missed where I said there is an alternate way, at least I am 95% sure the option is there to remove an MBR, I seem to remember using it quite recently.
    sorry parrot, think i was typing when you must have made the post.

i have actually never messed with that option, but your right, if going to run both then i guess fixing the MBR is better than starting over

z

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast