Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alfa AWUS036H testing results with different driver sources

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by The_Denv View Post
    Great trail 'n' error review. I have my Alfa here, but apparently it got broken in the mail, Im awaiting my new Alfa. Thanks for this, can I ask you a question?

I already asked this on a previous thread but since I have not asked yourself:

Does your Alfa's LED turn on? Exploitz told me his never came on, Im beginning to think that my Alfa 'may' not be broken afterall. Did you have any trouble at all installing your Alfa on WinXP with the driver that was in the CD inside the box of the Alfa?

Cheers man
    Don't worry about the inactive LED on the Alfa under Linux. The only time I see the Alfa LED light up is upon initial connection, when the drivers are autoloaded. There is just a quick flash of the LED, and then it's off the rest of the time. I personally prefer it that way, and would put a piece of tape over it if it did work.

I will boot into XP and see how the Alfa works. I don't do any sniffing/injection/pentesting from XP for obvious reasons, so my review will be limited to general functionality and connectivity issues.

Thanks for the response! The more I see, the more reviews and howtos I'll post.

Just burned his ISO Convergence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bwise View Post
    hey man great job ! i was just wondering if you could give a detailed HowTo install the rtl8187 drivers found in the 2.6.23 kernel in BT2 and where they can be found

thanks

Check this thread out, it should be able to help
    hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=6784&highlight=alfa+driver

replace the hxxp with http

I just got my Alfa 500mw

Well for starters i got 10x plus signal power compared with my old USB pen. I simlpy plug it in and it detected in iwconfig (with normal BT2 instalation), then i airmon-ng stop and then start it and Monitor mode OK. I will keep testing this mighty device, its absolute power, imagine before i had AP´s with power 1 or 2, now the same show up having 80

Im happy

Just burned his ISO

Code:
    bt ~ # iwconfig wlan0 txpwer 6
    Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26) :
        SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
    sometimes iwlist scan doesnt work.. most aplications fail at utilizing the device i heard a lot of hype about this but i have yet to see why the **** its so special i even have the latest patch but this thing sucks balls WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by linuxchuck View Post
    That's a good idea. I'll see about building a full howto on new kernel compilation for BT2 this weekend. Unless you've installed a custom kernel under BT2, your current setup won't do you much good. BT2 comes with 2.6.20 by default.

Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks for your response! The more I see on this, the more I'll write as I learn about the Alfa.
    that's great man , your effort is much appreciated!

p.s: thanks convergence for the reference but i already checked that thread

Quote Originally Posted by linuxchuck View Post

First finding: The command:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 channel <channel>
    does not seem to work with these drivers.
    I did notice that once the adapter is connected, and the following command is issued:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    it goes into "hunting" mode, and hops from channel to channel.
    But once I try to specify any channel:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 channel 11
    I get the following error:
    Code:
    Error for wireless request "Set Frequency" (8B04) :
        SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
    I get the same error even if I bring the interface down first.

To keep things easy, I usually keep an eye on the iwconfig command by opening a separate terminal, and issuing this command:
    Code:
    watch iwconfig wlan0
    This allows me a semi-real-time view of the iwconfig output so I can see what's going on without having to issue the command over and over.

So if I can't specify a channel, how do I connect to an access point?
    hey , correct me if i am wrong but isn't it possible to do this with
    Code:
    airmon-ng <start|stop> <interface> [channel]

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by bwise View Post
    hey , correct me if i am wrong but isn't it possible to do this with
    Code:
    airmon-ng <start|stop> <interface> [channel]
    Well, as you will see in my first post above,
    Code:
    airmon-ng stop
    works, but
    Code:
    airmon-ng start
    does not. At least, for me.

Has anyone else had a different result?

My airmon-ng Start and Stop work with the drivers in BT2.

But im experience weird problems, like Injection working and after a while stops working. I have some problems fake authing with my AP, i get succefully associated and a [ACK] signed in front, and when i check no ARPs are beeing generated.

I was wondering what other driver you would advise me to try, the one that comes with BT2 is a bit unstable even most options working they tend to loose it hehe.

This discussion should be important so that the we choose the best driver to BT3 Final.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by grikster View Post
    My airmon-ng Start and Stop work with the drivers in BT2.

But im experience weird problems, like Injection working and after a while stops working. I have some problems fake authing with my AP, i get succefully associated and a [ACK] signed in front, and when i check no ARPs are beeing generated.

I was wondering what other driver you would advise me to try, the one that comes with BT2 is a bit unstable even most options working they tend to loose it hehe.

This discussion should be important so that the we choose the best driver to BT3 Final.
    Perhaps I should change the topic of this thread to indicate it is a review of the drivers under a *new* kernel. :-) I have not even attempted to use the built-in BT drivers, and I am running a much newer kernel.

I would suggest you upgrade your kernel to 2.6.23 or higher, (there are many threads that cover this) and use the in-kernel drivers as covered in the second post.

Just burned his ISO

great findings linuxchuck i learned a new cmd "watch" thats pimp, i'd like to make a small addition that ive noticed while trying to connect to my unencrypted AP this is what i have to do

ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "essid " notice the space, the driver im using likes to cut off the last character
    then i do another

ifconfig wlan0 up
    dhcpcd wlan0

and it magically works for me
    using the older rtl8187_linux_26.1010.0622.2006/ patch some1 posted awhile ago via the btwiki HCL sniper or sumthin was his name i dunno but i sure cant wait for bt3 beta i'll have a renued lust to "hack that bitch up"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast