Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hacking/brute forcing my own router *shame inside*/legal!!

EnculeurDePoules

Question Hacking/brute forcing my own router *shame inside*/legal!!

Hey!
    To begin with there is nothing illegal in there as its my flat's router... its only a cable router (no wifi) TP-Link SOHO (serie TL-R402 I think, i would have to check tonight).

here's the story: we live in that flat with 5 people and it has been students moving in and out every 6-12 months.
    When I came in they was this old router already in and we don't know who was the owner, probably a chinese as its a chinese old crap.

I do have physical access to it but it does not reset!
    There is a quite big button for that, but nothing works, a pen, a needle.... I attempted "leave the reset" button pressed and unplugging from power, nothing does it...

The router config page is "192.168.1.1" but as usual it asks for credentials login/password.
    The default according the website is "admin/admin" but does not works!

As I want to access it to monitor and put a bit of rules in that chaos that is flatsharing/using internet, but it wont let me do it.
    No need to say that the girls and the other guy are helpless: the girls would be like a chicken watching its eggs and the guy knows a bit but he does not know the settings at its not his own.

So far I used Brutus to brute force it in "http auth" but with no luck, I made my own "user list.txt" and own "password list.txt" but first its very slow and still no chance.
    The same, yesterday I tried "HydraGTk", it made 170 000 attemps with no luck...

Im really starting to think that its setup in chinese and that it would be "chinese word for admin", "chinese word for admin as password"...
    Is that possible?

Else what suggestions do you have for me?

I was wondering "uploading firmware" if only I find one but then how to do it?
    Can I connect like via "telnet" without login?

Thanks!
    I'll appreciate any suggestions as Im looking for ideas!

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Try this.

Unplug the router.

Depress the reset button for 10 seconds.

While still depressing the reset button, plug the router in

Continue to hold the reset button for another 10 seconds.

See if it resets.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

EnculeurDePoules

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Try this.

Unplug the router.

Depress the reset button for 10 seconds.

While still depressing the reset button, plug the router in

Continue to hold the reset button for another 10 seconds.

See if it resets.
    Thanks!
    I will try that again! I tried already as I knew we needed to do the same for a "Netgear wifi router". I did tried that last time with no success but i'll give it another go.
    the back reset button though does not seems to move its a "hard one", compare to the usual wee rubber button, and its not seem to move at all!

Can you give us the FCC ID, model #, manufacturer, screenshot of the admin page, date of manufacture, etc? something to go on to identify the device.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

EnculeurDePoules

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Can you give us the FCC ID, model #, manufacturer, screenshot of the admin page, date of manufacture, etc? something to go on to identify the device.
    hm yes I'll have a look tonight probably and copy theses blabla/

I have already been trying to use google with that (R402? for sure its TP link SOHO)
    but then not much useful results... they say about the usual default logins/password but no luck!
    Im at work now ill see tonight

If all else fails, there is always the ol' "hammer reset" fix.

You could always just toss it and replace it. Cable/DSL routers aren't exactly expensive these days.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Sometimes you can find things online about the pinouts inside the router. I bricked my wrt54g with the wrong DDwrt firmware (oops, it was late). I jumped two pins on the circuitboard inside, and that fixed it.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

According to the docs:
    http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/2007731051467.pdf

The reset button is on the back of the unit between the power connector and WAN port.
    Use the Factory Default Reset button: First, turn off the router's power. Second, press the default reset button, then turn on the router's power, and hold the reset button until the M1 and M2 LED flash simultaneously (about 3 seconds). At last, release the reset button and wait for the router to reboot.
    On the front of the device there should be two LEDs to the left of the 4 LAN activity LEDS. These are called M1 and M2.
    M1 and M2 are flashing, synchronously, the router is restoring the factory default settings.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    According to the docs:
    http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/2007731051467.pdf

The reset button is on the back of the unit between the power connector and WAN port.

On the front of the device there should be two LEDs to the left of the 4 LAN activity LEDS. These are called M1 and M2.
    Sounds alot like what I recommended.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast