Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to Hack

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Why don't you call your boss in and show him this post And a few more pictures of the company and the server would be nice. If any malicious person got hold of that info you would be a target for sure hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    The answer was already provided:
    Well ok thats like going into a calculus class and the teacher saying here are 5 really good books to read and be back here at the end of the semester for the final. There is only so much you can read, but without a teacher there it is a lot harder and takes a lot longer. Right now I am trying to find the difference between Autoscan and Nmap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_GrEeN View Post
    Why don't you call your boss in and show him this post And a few more pictures of the company and the server would be nice. If any malicious person got hold of that info you would be a target for sure hehehe
    Yea I changed up some information in the post so you wouldn't know. The only thing I showed you was that we use keyscan for our locks.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mortifix View Post
    Well ok thats like going into a calculus class and the teacher saying here are 5 really good books to read and be back here at the end of the semester for the final. There is only so much you can read, but without a teacher there it is a lot harder and takes a lot longer. Right now I am trying to find the difference between Autoscan and Nmap.
    OMG he said

"Look in to some networking basics courses, sysadmin basics courses, then maybe some ethical hacking courses, security 101 courses, some VA/PenTest methodologies, etc. It's time to get your learn on before you break something and make work for yourself and others."

COURSES! AS IN COURSES AT SCHOOL. AS IN COURSES WITH TEACHERS! Omg, If I had a stick right now, I swear to god!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

well I left school a year early, I've never been on any course, I've never needed a teacher to tell me how to do this and read that.

Mortifix sort it out m8, you obliviously have made out you are more than you say you are. And if a company has employed you to carry out pentest work more fool them. I hope you get a grilling for trying but **** it it would be funny to see you **** up just don't forget to send us the picture of your boss booting your ass out the office after you cost them time and money hahaha

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Yea I changed up some information in the post so you wouldn't know. The only thing I showed you was that we use keyscan for our locks.
    Do you even understand that concept that you should never do what you're wanting to do on production machines without explicit authority?

Some devices are very sensitive to some kinds of scans and some scans can actually indeed bring down an entire network.

Unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing it.

It's that friggin simple.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Well ok thats like going into a calculus class and the teacher saying here are 5 really good books to read and be back here at the end of the semester for the final. There is only so much you can read, but without a teacher there it is a lot harder and takes a lot longer.
    Hence the first part of the answer was TAKE SOME COURSES.
    Look in to some networking basics courses, sysadmin basics courses, then maybe some ethical hacking courses, security 101 courses, some VA/PenTest methodologies, etc. It's time to get your learn on before you break something and make work for yourself and others.
    It's rocket science really.

http://www.google.com/search?q=nmap
    http://insecure.org/nmap/
    Nmap ("Network Mapper") is a free and open source (license) utility for network exploration or security auditing. Many systems and network administrators also find it useful for tasks such as network inventory, managing service upgrade schedules, and monitoring host or service uptime. Nmap uses raw IP packets in novel ways to determine what hosts are available on the network, what services (application name and version) those hosts are offering, what operating systems (and OS versions) they are running, what type of packet filters/firewalls are in use, and dozens of other characteristics. It was designed to rapidly scan large networks, but works fine against single hosts.
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=autoscan
    http://autoscan-network.com/index.ph...d=16&Itemid=30
    AutoScan is an application designed to explore and to manage your network. Entire subnets can be scanned simultaneously without human intervention. The objective of the program is to post the list of all equipment connected to the network. A list of ports preset is scanned for each equipment.
    Wow that took a whole 0.43 seconds for each search, 1 sec for two clicks, maybe 15 sec to read both paragraphs. What an investment of time

Basically AutoScan is nmap with training wheels. It tries to get you the same type of information but may not be as successful or as configurable.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

BTW, that's exactly how many of us have learned the things we know. By sitting down and reading, no teachers, no handholding, just reading.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Default Nmap or Autoscan

If I use Nmap to scan a port range, is that the same as using Autoscan? I have ran both and they seem to both turn up the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Do you even understand that concept that you should never do what you're wanting to do on production machines without explicit authority?
    Obviously he does not.
    Some devices are very sensitive to some kinds of scans and some scans can actually indeed bring down an entire network.
    Hahaha ya lets hope he doesn't work at any type of manufacturing plant or major utility. Can we say SCADA + VA = BAD BAD BAD!!!!!
    Unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing, you shouldn't be doing it.

It's that friggin simple.
    This is completely true and it should be that simple.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast