Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This Allowed?

Default Is This Allowed?

i was searching on ebay just now, and i found that someone is selling backtrack online.

i dont know if this is allowed or this is being organized by someone on here but i thought i'd let you guys know.

here's the link:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BackTrack-Linux-...QQcmdZViewItem

depending on how the owners/admin feel if he is selling a CD to be mailed to someone alot of sites sell Linux distros from 1.00 for the CD to be mailed which is a fair price for a cd and shipping but if he is charging for the link id say no

Yeah as allready said it is allowed to sell it on a CD......so you just buying the CD and not the OS....

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

NO
    this IS ILLEGAL

AND UNFAIR
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

I was looking on Amazon.co.uk today and saw 2 "Ethical Hackers" books that included BT2 with them {IIRC is legal if there only charge you for the book and the media that BT2 is on and not for the contents of the disc}

-----
    Edit:

I have read the listing and it does not say anything list saying you are bidding on the media and on the software with is covered under the "GPL, CopyLeft, etc" licence ; He also seems to be "selling" allot of other version of Linux aswell; but .99$ looks like it would only cover the cost of the media and "labour" to burn it....,

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    NO
    this IS ILLEGAL

AND UNFAIR
    100% correct. Even if they are selling the CD, they are still using Back|Track as a selling point, they are using Back|Track's name to make a profit. GNU rules have been breached.

Someone like muts [who has the power] should take care of this.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Dont they know backtrack 3 is out? lawl.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

I can see how this might be considered unethical, but not illegal. BackTrack is a free open source project is it not? If this is the case then I fail to see how the GNU license is being violated. Now if they were changing the title to Pwn4ge Pro and not giving any credit then there might be a violation. However in this instance they don't appear to be. Also, they were asking for $1 dollar and shipping. There are many other sites out there that will do the same thing with almost every flavor of a linux distribution that is currently available. PLUG organizations also do this quite frequently at their meetings to help spread the use of Linux as a desktop operating system.

Maybe I'm wrong in my assumptions here and I certainly don't mean to be disrespectful to any of the individuals that work on the project since I'm such and avid user of their creation. If it really is illegal I'd be curious to what part of any licensing they are in violation of.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Packets View Post
    I can see how this might be considered unethical, but not illegal. BackTrack is a free open source project is it not? If this is the case then I fail to see how the GNU license is being violated. Now if they were changing the title to Pwn4ge Pro and not giving any credit then there might be a violation. However in this instance they don't appear to be. Also, they were asking for $1 dollar and shipping. There are many other sites out there that will do the same thing with almost every flavor of a linux distribution that is currently available. PLUG organizations also do this quite frequently at their meetings to help spread the use of Linux as a desktop operating system.

Maybe I'm wrong in my assumptions here and I certainly don't mean to be disrespectful to any of the individuals that work on the project since I'm such and avid user of their creation. If it really is illegal I'd be curious to what part of any licensing they are in violation of.
    So please stop selling it then. LOL.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    So please stop selling it then. LOL.
    LOL. It isn't nice to start rumors like that.

Now you are going to have some poor moderator doing lookup's on all my logged IP's to see if they come from the same physical region as the person selling those CD's just out of curiosity if nothing else.

My point was just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's illegal. I don't like Microsoft, but that doesn't make them a crime syndicate. I just don't see what is illegal about it unless they are claiming responsibility for creating it. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. I never claimed to be a lawyer, but I played one on TV.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast