Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Battery Preservation Question.

Default Laptop Battery Preservation Question.

Hi,

Very general question here, not BT related.

I have a new laptop and like almost everyone, I want to preserve the battery life span for as long as possible.

There will be many times where I will use the laptop in the same room where I have my sub/speakers set up.

The Question:

what is the best way to preserve the laptop battery in the long run? is it:

a)keep it plugged in at the wall if im stationary (when the battery is full, does the power completly bypass the battery and powers the laptop directly from the wall?)

or

b)plug it in from the wall, then when the battery reaches full charge, turn off the switch at the wall, use the battery till it gets low, then turn on the switch at the wall again to begin charging?

the crux: what is better for the battery when using the lappy stationary, plug in from wall for the duration even if battery is full, or use the battery as per normal when its fully charged?

thanks

Moved to General IT Discussion.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Not sure if this helps. I was once told that laptop batteries are pretty disposable. From what I remember is that if you are going to use your laptop on a desk plugged into the wall for the majority of the time, then just remove the battery. If you need to use the battery, let it run down, and then charge it back up. I remember someone saying that the quickest way to kill laptop batteries (or lithium ion batteries) was to have the battery in, but constantly plugged into the wall. What happens is the battery is at 100%, then may drop to 98%, then gets charged back up, over and over. Which can wear them out. If this is 100% accurate, I can't say.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

thanks for that.

yea the thought did cross my mind to just remove the bat, but that will leave a gaping hole and this room can gather some serious dust in a short space of time

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bruk0ut View Post
    thanks for that.

yea the thought did cross my mind to just remove the bat, but that will leave a gaping hole and this room can gather some serious dust in a short space of time
    Clear Tape!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

i usually charge it till its full
    then i take the bat out and stor it in my lappy bag
    when i need it it is in perfect condition (around 98% of 100%)
    even though i have a lition i dont want to keep charging and discharging.
    lition bats are way better than the old bats with recharging but they still get worse and worse. ohh and depending on your laptop make the power might switch once it is fully charged and bypass the bat but most of them dont.
    Hope it helps

-=DeltA=-
    "Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...LOVE!"
    by, Homer J Simpson:cool:

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    i usually charge it till its full
    then i take the bat out and stor it in my lappy bag
    when i need it it is in perfect condition (around 98% of 100%)
    even though i have a lition i dont want to keep charging and discharging.
    lition bats are way better than the old bats with recharging but they still get worse and worse. ohh and depending on your laptop make the power might switch once it is fully charged and bypass the bat but most of them dont.
    Hope it helps

-=DeltA=-

but do you not get lots of crumbs/dust and general ish collecting in the battery bay?

@spank - clear tape? lol

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Just a warning, if you have small children around, it's best not to leave the battery out. Small children love to unplug things that are within reach.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by bruk0ut View Post
    but do you not get lots of crumbs/dust and general ish collecting in the battery bay?

@spank - clear tape? lol
    well i put it back in my laptop bag if i dont use it or ill put it back if i know i need it tomorrow morning when i have a lecture. if its out for long i really dont have to worry because the whole where dust can come through on my HP is very small (with removed battery) so i just wipe it every month or so.
    well hope it works for you if not well you still got the [B]@spank - clear tape?[/B option right?
    "Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...LOVE!"
    by, Homer J Simpson:cool:

As has been said, if you are going to use the Laptop on the mains for an extended period of time, remove the battery (I get very little in the Battery compartment in the way of dust or dirt, and I'm a smoker with 2 cats)

Had my Toshiba for over 3 years now, and get over 2 hours on the battery (2.2 P4 mobile, 2x512MB, XP/BT2 Dual Boot). If i'm going out somewhere, i just charge it a few hours befre hand (Usually just a top-up charge, as there is some charge in it)

Best practice for a battery in regular use is to charge, then FULLY discharge it. Although Li-Ion has far less of a "memory effect" than the old NiCD batteries, it's still there, and still has an effect over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast