Thread: USB Stick Simple Real Install 2700Mo Tutorial (Resolving the root kernel panic issue)

Just burned his ISO

Default USB Stick Simple Real Install 2700Mo Tutorial (Resolving the root kernel panic issue)

Hello,

Issue Summary : Usb is not recognize at the right time so the root partition is not mounted when needed.

After 3 weeks of fighting here is the solution that I've found:

First install the whole thing using the HDD tutorial. (I used only one partition for my install and formated it in ext3 but you can create more partitions and choose the formating...)

Then when all is on the stick ... stay on the live BT and the do the folowing (assuming the USB Stick partition is under /mnt/sda1 )

chroot /mnt/sda1 /bin/bash
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig

Then in this menu find what is related to USB drivers and activate them (choose a * and not a "M" then the drivers will be part of the boot and not loaded as a module)

When you have finished to choose usb related drivers, quit the menuconfig utility (after save) and then in the shell :

make
    make install

The make process will take long (30 minutes for my laptop)
    The make install will resintall the lilo with the new kernel on the usb stick.

If needed you can as weel verify the /etc/lilo.conf file and be sure that the /dev/sda1 is ok (or other parameters if you have more partitions) and if you modify it to match your system then you can run "lilo -v" to reinstall lilo with the right parameters.

Then you can finally try to boot on your stick and that should be ok.

Systemic

Just burned his ISO

Hi,
    As first I personaly want to thank you for this tutorial. But unfortunetly I have experienced some problems while applaying it. Does comand "chroot" works at you without error mesages. At me for instance (and I´ve tried three diferent distros with the same negative result) dont work. It displays following message (at all distros I´ve tested)

"stderr is not a tty - where are you?"

Has anyone encountered similar problem?

Please, if someone can help with this, it would be appreciated.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

Exclamation

Really, thx 4 work BUT

why do we still need to do real install onto usb ?? i think it's useless

the first interest of real install is to have permanent FS...so the changes stays after reboot

BUT YOU CAN DO THE SAME WITH LIVE INSTALL WITH NO KERNEL PANIK

i made a step by step tutor for this available in BT2 subforum
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=6900

my final result is

A 20 Go REMOVABLE HD with
    1 part fat32, 2 Go for booting and BT2
    1 part swap , 1 Go for swapping
    1 Part ext2 , 5 Go for changes
    1 part ext2 , 12 Go for personal datas

i repeat : it's a LIVE install with permanent changes

BT is intended to be a live so why do a real install ?
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your work shamanvirtuel . But that was sone sort of challenge to install it real ...

About the chroot issue, the message is only a warning so you don't have to care about it.

Will maybe go live ...

Systemic

Just burned his ISO

Hi!

I have already posted my question in the newbie area (forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7036) but didn't get a reply at all. Therefore again in the original Thread.

I have followed your instructions but still get an kernel panic. Could you describe the steps you performed in detail or post / attache your kernel config (.config file).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    ## proud to be a nerd ##

We no longer allow links in sigs --pureh@te

when I tried to do "make install" the system resonds:Error: Not such device or adress

But I don't know what i have done wrong. Here is what i did when I tried installing bt2 to may extrenal hdd

1. I used the usual Backtrack Hard drive Installation.pdf

2. During the installation, I mounted the devices onto the disk:

cd /tmp
    mkdir boot
    mkdir bt2
    mount /dev/sdb1 boot
    mount /dev/sdb3 bt2

3. I used the Systemic-thing to resolve Kernal panic after reboot

... than I mounted the devices a second time

chroot /tmp/bt2/ /bin/bash
    cd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig

5. Devices drivers--->USB Support-->USB Mass Storage Support ( as * so that it would be part of boot,,,,, by the way I also activated a few other things because i dont really know, what driver is the right one)

6. I saved the config

7. typed make

8. It take nearly 30 min

9. But than I typed make install

and got 2 Errors or something like this, telling me that the "boot" thing is not on devices sdb3 : Not such file or address

So what is wrong about all that ???

thanks

and got 2 Errors or something like this, telling me that the "boot" thing is not on devices sdb3 : Not such file or address
    Per your red text, boot is /dev/sdb1 not sdb3, looks like you made a mistake along the way.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I finally succeeded by doing the whole thing over again and staying on the live cd the whole way long.