Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about basic networking school

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

If you haven't heard of Cacti, here's one if it's functions. You can create a map of your Network. The arrows will change colors based upon network activity, or whatever you want in reality.

A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrash View Post
    Well this is all great info everyone. Thank you. I didn't think I would get so many responses in so little time. I look forward to this education and a lifelong career in IT and all the responsibilities in it. I'm glad I found this forum of friends that all share the same interests. And as long as I don't ask for "A step by step noobie tutorial" I think I'll fit in just fine.

There is a step by step no0bie guide!

But seriously....

Your more than welcome. We are always glad to share info with people like you who want nothing more than to get started and show some ambition and enthusiasm.

Welcome to Remote-exploit forums MisterCrash!
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Smile Re:

I think we should have threads like this more often. I enjoyed reading all the replies.
    In my company backup is a personal choice(probably cause we need a serious server upgrade). We use Second Copy. It's easy to configure and it does the job. Most people are smart enough to save their stuff to the H drive(located on a server).We even have a temporary Shared drive that they use to store some stuff on. Every 2-3 months we empty it out.We let people know in an email about our intention beforehand.
    Love the field I am in. Just getting on the server side(currently studying for my MCSE 70-291 exam).I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

Anyways, respect to you all! Loved the posting, Streaker69.

Quote Originally Posted by Primey View Post
    again, so right its scary, and yes, i trust one person and only one person to do backup of the data, me...let me put it into perspective the kind of users i have:

User: "I can't send an email with attachment thru the company's mail, why is that? "

fyi, the SMTP here is configured so that the attachment limit is 10MB

Me: "If you are trying to send an attachment that is 50MB, it will not send, the limit is 10MB miss "

My Brain at the moment: " !"%&/#%/ dumb...plain old dumb "

so yeah, that is why i do the backups
    I've run into this, and have actually increased our inbound/outbound mail size to 50Mb just because we're always sending and receiving large drawings. But my people know that there's a good chance that if they send out something larger than 10Mb it could bounce because the remote server isn't configured to handle something larger. Most of the places we deal with regularly have their mail servers set to allow large attachments.

It's nothing for us to have 30-40Mb TIFF files to send out on a daily basis.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I've run into this, and have actually increased our inbound/outbound mail size to 50Mb just because we're always sending and receiving large drawings. But my people know that there's a good chance that if they send out something larger than 10Mb it could bounce because the remote server isn't configured to handle something larger. Most of the places we deal with regularly have their mail servers set to allow large attachments.

It's nothing for us to have 30-40Mb TIFF files to send out on a daily basis.
    i hear ya there, but the thing is that we need a MAJOR server upgrade, the servers i work with are all PIII , and yeah, i've had some mails bounce back because the destination server is not configured to receive such files, and yes, before you ask, i've seen mail servers that have less than 5MB limit

such is the life of a Network Administrator, but dont get me wrong, i love my job

and restricting youtube to every user in the company is a plus

PD: im gonna check that Cacti you mention streaker, it seems very very useful

Quote Originally Posted by Primey View Post
    i hear ya there, but the thing is that we need a MAJOR server upgrade, the servers i work with are all PIII , and yeah, i've had some mails bounce back because the destination server is not configured to receive such files, and yes, before you ask, i've seen mail servers that have less than 5MB limit

such is the life of a Network Administrator, but dont get me wrong, i love my job

and restricting youtube to every user in the company is a plus

PD: im gonna check that Cacti you mention streaker, it seems very very useful
    Yep, youtube, myspace and facebook are the primary ones that I kill.

I just create a dummy DNS zone for them, and route *.<domainname>.com to a page that explains in no uncertain terms they have no business visiting those sites.

You need help with Cacti, let me know, I'm fairly active on that forum as well. I bet you'll never guess which one I am there though.

I'll just make a post with a title like "Looking for someone who lives in Intercourse" and that should be it

and thanks for the offer man, i'll hit you up if i get stuck with it

LT72884

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrash View Post
    Yes I would be very interested in hearing what it takes in being a Network Admin. This is supossed to be the job I'll be prepared for after school. I have some basic experience setting up WiFi networks for a few of the companies I have worked for in the past. Later on I have the option of transferring on to a four year college to obtain a BA. But I would like to get an entry level job after these two years and get some hands on experience first.

Im in the same type of degree at school. BUT there degree kind is man down right now so i sent them a mock up of what i think a netadmin should be able to do after two years of it. in my opinion the classes you could take are the CCNA and CCNP. At my school there are two semesters to the CCNA and 4 to the CCNP. As of right now i am taking the RHCE courses. I have done my CCNA. next year after my linux is over i will be moving into telecom cabling and CCNP along with cyber security.

The classes i will be taking are these.

A+
    Telecom cabling
    Linux 1
    Linux 2 RHCT prep
    Linux 3 RHCE prep
    RHCE boot camp
    MCSA MOD 1
    MCSA MOD 2
    Intro to networks part 1 of CCNA (all ready have it)
    Advanced networking part 2 of CCNA ( all ready have it)
    Net security
    I.S security

Building scalable networks part 1 of CCNP
    Building internetworks part 2 of CCNP
    Network troubleshooting part 3 of CCNP
    Remote access networks part 4 of CCNP
    Network monitoring and documentation.

all the ones in bold are required and the ones in red are electives. you have to have at least 2 or 3 of the electives. Thats what my set up is. so far so good. Streaker or Striker is right. You become the freakin NAZI. i am a IT admin at my work and alot of people hate me now becasue they got busted lookin at naughty sites in front of the public. so i had to block the entire company form going to certain sites and i hear about it all the time. some people have stopped talking to me. any way good luck dude and you'll find what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post

all the ones in bold are required and the ones in red are electives. you have to have at least 2 or 3 of the electives. Thats what my set up is. so far so good. Streaker or Striker is right. You become the freakin NAZI. i am a IT admin at my work and alot of people hate me now becasue they got busted lookin at naughty sites in front of the public. so i had to block the entire company form going to certain sites and i hear about it all the time. some people have stopped talking to me. any way good luck dude and you'll find what you need.
    As the Admin, the only person you need to be on good terms with is the one who signs your paycheck. Everyone else, while you need to be friendly to them, they can just go pound sand. Your responsibility as the Admin above all else is to protect the company you work for. People visiting nasty sites is only going to lead to more work for you fixing their machines when they get infected. Not to mention the possible loss of information.

The guy that I caught looking at big breasted british women has never said and unkind word to me, and will do anything for me that I ask. Mostly because I handled it discretely among him and his boss.

About a year ago, shortly after I setup my Cacti box the first time, I noticed a huge amount of traffic flowing from our plant, across the T1 and out through the firewall. I traced it back to the user's port and then drove to the plant to have a talk with him.

I kindly said that I'd like to show him something and then I pulled up Cacti, I showed him the graphs that I was looking at, starting with the Router on my side and then traced the traffic pattern the whole way back to his machine. I showed him how whatever he was doing was saturating our T1. His claim was that he was copying data to our main server, but the traffic pattern didn't show that, it showed it going out the firewall.

I just told him I wanted him to know that it was an issue, and it was just a gentle nudge that traffic flow is being watched. From there he can make the assumption that I also know exactly what sites are being visited as well. I have not had an issue with that user since.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Should have turned him in to the RIAA. When a lot of bandwidth is being consumed it's usually illegal. I, well, er, I knew a guy once that was a pirate. Downloaded anything and everything. Then his ISP starting sending him RST packets. That stopped that for awhile. Now I think he'll go to newsgroups. Damn Pirates. Pirates everywhere I say! ARGGGH!

That argh was some lettuce stuck in my throat after the salad I had. It was not a Piratey-sound. I would not engage in such types of activity
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast