Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about basic networking school

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Oh, one thing I forgot, as a NetAdmin, it's important that you always have Pink Floyd playing in the background when someone enters your office.

Totally irrelevant, but.........

Caught your sig change a little while ago
    I saw the Roger waters - Dark Side of the Moon 30th anniversary concert in London, a few months back. Excellent show
    But then I missed David Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall recently
    Hadn't seen Floyd in their entirety since around '86 or '87, I suppose it must have been.......(actually, I can't remember if Waters was present even then.......I think it would have been even before then....

But anyway, yes, excellent advice - always have Floyd playing

Hey Streaker, you're my new hero. That's so cool all the stuff you do. I only have one other question: Do you throughly enjoy what you do? I haven't gone through it yet, but, it's sounds like I would love it. Seems like you kinda are your own boss and must be self sufficient. Is that correct?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrash View Post
    Hey Streaker, you're my new hero. That's so cool all the stuff you do. I only have one other question: Do you throughly enjoy what you do? I haven't gone through it yet, but, it's sounds like I would love it. Seems like you kinda are your own boss and must be self sufficient. Is that correct?
    Yeah, my 'boss' is only my boss in the term that he gives me my review, otherwise he pretty much lets me do whatever I need to do. Since my other boss left, I've been handling the all purchasing for IT as well as making all decisions.

I didn't get a into the technical aspect of what I do too much intentionally because if you're going to be doing this work, I expect that you'll have the technical background already. I just wanted to give you pointers on how to deal with the other aspects.

Too many 'geeks' out there don't know how to deal with people. Intelligent people they are, but they don't know how to handle interpersonal communication on a day to day basis. That is what you want to avoid. You should be able to talk to your users on their level without them feeling as though you're talking down to them.

Another thing you'll need to watch out for is contractors. Keep a real close eye on them when they're onsite, and make sure that they do exactly what the they were contracted to do.

I have some good stories of things I've gone through posted over here.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Yes I have a decent computer background I suppose. I still have a lot to learn but I was punching in the basic commands on a DOSbox when I was four. I'm 22 now. I figured there are some unspoken prerequisites that are neccessary when enrolling in such a field that I can already comprehend. What's your education background Streaker? I'm new to *nix systems now but they are covered to some degree in this course and I'm very excited to learn about it. I've dual booted Backtrack with Winblowz but have since always loaded up Backtrack. I wish I had had given Linux a chance earlier in my life but it's never too late I guess. So are you happy with your job?

Yes I have a decent computer background I suppose. I still have a lot to learn but I was punching in the basic commands on a DOSbox when I was four. I'm 22 now. I figured there are some unspoken prerequisites that are neccessary when enrolling in such a field that I can already comprehend. What's your education background Streaker? I'm new to *nix systems now but they are covered to some degree in this course and I'm very excited to learn about it. I've dual booted Backtrack with Winblowz but have since always loaded up Backtrack. I wish I had had given Linux a chance earlier in my life but it's never too late I guess. So are you happy with your job?
    I have a degree in Electronics, as for computers, I'm solely self taught. I do a lot of reading on things that I'm taking on that's new. When I started this job, I knew nothing of SCADA/HMI but knew I was going to have to learn it. Back in May this year we started a project of converting our control network which was ModBus+ over to Ethernet. We've been working with a contractor to complete the work. Within a couple of weeks, I knew more about the software they were implementing than they did. I started to correct all the ****-ups that they had built into the HMI. They're still not finished with this job and we're having a meeting with them this friday, where they will be given a date to complete all outstanding work or else not get paid.

I was just up in Foxboro, MA for training in Iconics Genesis 9.x software so at this point, I can pretty much design any HMI screen needed for any of our processes. I'll probably be going for another week long class next spring as well. It's one way of us keeping costs down. Before we had to contract out to have our screens updated because no one in house knew how to design them. Now I can get a screen designed and implemented in at most 1 day.

I'm very happy with my job and I'll even be happier if my submitted salary adjustment comes through.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

Yes. I'm just a deskside tech and will hopefully go to the server side of things, but I do notice that you have to be able to handle people. Streaker is right. You dont talk down to people or make them feel stupid. There are some occasions when you can make them feel stupid without saying anything mean at all.
    I had a guy yell at me over the phone that he couldn't get his internet working in his cubicle. I asked him all the normal "Come on man, I really dont want to run up there" questions. But he insisted. I got up there just to find that his network cable wasn't plugged in. All I said was "Sir, your network cable wasn't plugged in", and he shut up. That was the first thing I asked on the phone. Of course he had checked everything

I started out in a retail tech shop. Those customers were the meanest bunch of people you ever met. We had stuff thrown at us, constant yelling, death threats, shady people trying to steal, one guy had a gun pulled on him. (Tacoma Washington From just "normal" tech-stop related things like "I'm sorry, we sent your computer to the manufacturer, and they haven't sent it back yet and we can't get a hold of them". People would then reply "I need my laptop because of....<Insert whatever>." I dont know how people can rely on one Computer. That's insane. No backups? You must be nuts. But people do it. And then take it out on you.

I've come to realize that people think their computers should just "WORK". A lot of times that's not the case. You have to realize people are frustrated, but not necessarily at you. I figured after the whole retail incidents, I could do 1 of 2 things. I could go to the corporate world, and do IT work there, or I could become a hostage negotiator. I chose 1 and so far it has paid off. Usually, the only thing people get pissed about is when a HDD fails and they lose 5 years worth of PSTs. They are more upset with themselves because of the constant "BACKUP YOUR STUFF TO THE SERVER" emails and they didn't heed the advice.

So yes, People skills and Tech skills go hand in hand when working any kind of IT. You can learn IT. It's harder to learn people skills. In the corp world, you could tell who had come from retail. The guys from retail would get 30+ problems and find a solution and run around fixing everything while the guys NOT from retail would run around frantically and then shutdown. Usually tickets would stack up and they'd call in sick. Oh well.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post

I've come to realize that people think their computers should just "WORK". A lot of times that's not the case. You have to realize people are frustrated, but not necessarily at you. I figured after the whole retail incidents, I could do 1 of 2 things. I could go to the corporate world, and do IT work there, or I could become a hostage negotiator. I chose 1 and so far it has paid off. Usually, the only thing people get pissed about is when a HDD fails and they lose 5 years worth of PSTs. They are more upset with themselves because of the constant "BACKUP YOUR STUFF TO THE SERVER" emails and they didn't heed the advice.
    A competent NetAdmin should never have to tell anyone to back their stuff up to the server. The GPO's should be configured in such a way that their data resides on the server and it's seamless to the user. As far as they know, their data is on their machine, but it also resides on the server and is backed up every night with the normal backup.

One thing that I've found in the IT world as well, is a large majority of IT people are gun owners. Don't know why it is, but I've found it to be true.

That's wonderful. I'm the guy that has the concealed carry permit. I'm the guy that gets pissed off over stupid things that are my fault. Guess that part time job I need while going to school will be at Best Buy to obtain those "people skills" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    A competent NetAdmin should never have to tell anyone to back their stuff up to the server. The GPO's should be configured in such a way that their data resides on the server and it's seamless to the user. As far as they know, their data is on their machine, but it also resides on the server and is backed up every night with the normal backup.

One thing that I've found in the IT world as well, is a large majority of IT people are gun owners. Don't know why it is, but I've found it to be true.
    Because you might now as well as I do Streaker, when all else fails and it won't boot up, the 12 gauge always solves the problem.

That's wonderful. I'm the guy that has the concealed carry permit. I'm the guy that gets pissed off over stupid things that are my fault. Guess that part time job I need while going to school will be at Best Buy to obtain those "people skills" lol.
    To the users, 'nothing is your fault', the only person that needs to know that you made a mistake is your boss. The average populace does not need to know that. You can always give technical mumbo-jumbo to throw them off.

Quote Originally Posted by To the populace
    'a build-up of tachyon particles in the RAID array threw off the striped redundancy, that's why the server is down. Yes it will be up shortly'
    Quote Originally Posted by To your boss
    'Installed some goshdurned buggy firmware that trashed the raid Array'

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast