Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use your Browser's Home button?

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    I have my "Home" set to my search engine of choice, yahoo.com. I use it quite a bit, even with also having my search bar set to "yahoo.com". I guess that it is a matter of personal choice.
    Yup absolutely it's a matter of personal preference. I just wanted to see how people operate, my comment about alt+d then tab wasn't meant to say he was doin something wrong; I was just suggesting an alternate method. (Not many people know about alt+d)

For instance, I absolutely hate tabs. I therefore love the ability that Firefox gives me to customize my browser the way I like it. Three cheers for "userChrome.css" and customability! And three cheers for "Firefox" and it's decision to allow almost complete user configuration of the UI!
    I used to hate tabs and always use new windows. (BTW Shift+Click a link in FF is new window while ctrl+click is new tab...for anyone who didn't know). But I've been using them more and more recently. For instance when I read slashdot at lunch I open any full articles or linked articles in new tabs to follow-up on them once I'm done reading through the list of headings/blurbs on the main page.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I use the home button many times a day, as I have an actual homepage, but it's basically a page of links of my favorites: the forums I visit every day, news sites, search engines, etc.

Tabs are the best thing since sliced bread. When I goto a forum and search for new threads, I will typically right-click-T to open the new threads in their own tab, so I can treat them individually instead of going back and forth or repeatedly clicking 'new threads' after every time I post.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Senior Member imported_spankdidly's Avatar

My homepage is a set of a bunch of pages I check everday. Gmail, These Forums, Slashdot, Gizmodo, Engadget, craigslist, oh yeah and my work webpage. I suppose that is very important. If I hit HOME it opens them all. Otherwise I just have the links on the toolbar at the top.

I'm not very handy with the keyboard in any OS. I AM handy with the keyboard in Counterstrike. Do a Running Jump-Crouch Zoom Snipe Boom Headshot Nade throw! YEAH!
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Quote Originally Posted by spankdidly View Post
    My homepage is a set of a bunch of pages I check everday. Gmail, These Forums, Slashdot, Gizmodo, Engadget, craigslist, oh yeah and my work webpage. I suppose that is very important. If I hit HOME it opens them all. Otherwise I just have the links on the toolbar at the top.
    Ya all my daily visit sites sit on my link bar.

I'm not very handy with the keyboard in any OS.
    Here's a list of my favs. Sadly this is for Winblows, which I'm forced to deal with daily at work and for family, therefore I like to know the fastest ways to do things

When editing text:
    ctrl + arrow (Left or Right) > Move the insertion point left or right entire words.
    ctrl + shift + arrow (Left or Right) > Highlight entire words (left or right of the insertion point).
    double click > Highlight an entire word.
    triple click > Highlight an entire line (not sentence).
    shift + home > Highlight from the insertion point to the start of the line.
    shift + end > Highlight from the insertion point to the end of the line.

Windows Desktop/Explorer Window:
    F1 > Open Windows Help (Or active application help if you aren't on the desktop or in windows explorer)
    F2 > When you have a file selected F2 will take you into Rename mode
    F3 or WinKey + F > Open the find file or folder applet
    F5 > Refresh Window
    WinKey + M > Minimize All Windows
    WinKey + shift + M > Restore All Minimized Windows
    WinKey + D > Show Desktop
    WinKey + L > Lock Windows (Not available before WinXP)
    WinKey + E > Launch Windows Explorer
    WinKey + B > Set Focus to the TaskBar (dunno why you'd want to do this)
    WinKey + ctrl + F > Open the find computer applet
    shift + delete > Permanently remove the selected file(s) (same as delete followed by empty trash)
    alt + tab > Cycles through your program list
    alt + shift + tab > Cycles backwards through your program list
    alt + space > Activate the window control menu (same as right clicking the icon in the top left of a window)
    alt + F4 > Close Window (Same as clicking the X in the top right of the window)
    alt + shift + F4 or shift + click close > Close the window and all parent windows
    KeyPad + > In Windows Explorer, expand the next level of contents for the selected folder or drive
    KeyPad * > In Windows Explorer, completely expand the selected folder or drive
    KeyPad - > In Windows Explorer, collapse the selected folder or drive
    Winkey + Pause/Break > Open the System control panel
    ctrl + shift + esc > Open the task manager
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

@Thorin

How many people do you think will try some of these after reading them? I tried a handful lol.
    I felt like bending the bars back, and ripping out the window frames and eating them. yes, eating them! Leaping, leaping, leaping! Colonics for everyone! All right! You dumb*sses. I'm a mental patient. I'm *supposed* to act out!

Keyboards? They're so '70s. Me, I'm kinda a lazy ass, so when I'm a surfin' Algore's miracle invention, one of my hands is "restin' comfortably" somewhere. And let me tell you, it ain't all that happy when it gets called on to do somethin' useful - so, I try to let sleeping dogs lie!

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    one of my hands is "restin' comfortably" somewhere.
    Is that something dirty? I dont wanna know where your left hand is resting while surfing the pr0n4ge of the inturweb. Gross Man!

Just burned his ISO

like a normal user of backtrack2 my homepage button is set to hxxp://www(dot)google.com/intl/xx-hacker/

@Thorin

How many people do you think will try some of these after reading them? I tried a handful lol.
    Hopefully lots, and hopefully they'll find them useful.

Is that something dirty? I dont wanna know where your left hand is resting while surfing the pr0n4ge of the inturweb. Gross Man!
    No, the free hand isn't restin' there!

Hey, I said that I was lazy, didn't I?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast