Thread: Ettercap DNS plugin help

Just burned his ISO

Default Ettercap DNS plugin help

I am using ettercap version 0.7.3-1.2, with the ncurses interface. I have modified the etter.dns plugin file in /usr/share/ettercap to redirect yahoo.com to mycathatesyou.com. My procedures are Unified Sniffing > scan LAN for hosts > list hosts > press 1 on gateway IP to make first target > press 2 on my dummy victim IP > view current targets to verify > mitm > arp spoofing > no parameters > plugins > manage plugins > activate dns_spoof by hitting enter and changing value to 1 > Start > start sniffing....

When I do all this the connectivity on the dummy victim will blip for a second and then the "arp -a" command shows the gateway MAC and the MAC of the attacker as the same. The dummy victim is an XP box so I do an "ipconfig /flushdns" and try to pull up yahoo.com which should be redirected, except it goes straight to yahoo.com. No redirection. The attacker is Debian Etch, not sure if this affects anything or not.

Anyone have a suggestion? I am new to ettercap and trying to explore MITM attacks to understand them. Thanks for the help!

I tried including the etter.dns file but the forum kicked it back saying I needed 15 posts. I replaced www with dubdubdub. Basically, I removed the default ms.com redirect to linux.org and put this in its place...

################################
    # Redirect yahoo.com to mycathatesyou.com
    #

yahoo.com A 66.249.2.58
    *.yahoo.com A 66.249.2.58
    dubdubdub.yahoo.com PTR 66.249.2.58

I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.